Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Default Role and Permissions For New Discussion

BreakerBreaker New
edited December 2015 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

When a user creates a new discussion, What are the default group and permissions that are added to said discussion?
I was looking through the DB and I am not exactly sure what to look for to hunt this down for my self.

Comments

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Discussions don't have groups or permissions associated with them.

If you are using Categories, the discussion's category permissions will restrict users.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Ok I see.

• Options

So if I have a category that is private and I want to make it public all I would need to do is change the permissionCategoryID to that of another category - general for example?

This correct?

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@Breaker said:
    So if I have a category that is private and I want to make it public all I would need to do is change the permissionCategoryID to that of another category - general for example?

This correct?

You could just remove the custom permissions completely.

Let me illustrate:

I have multiple categories, one of which has custom permissions. The Moderators category is not viewable by any role except Moderators and Administrators. The user Grissini is an admin, so he sees the mod discussion. The user NormalGirl is a Member and doesn't see the super secret discussion. After I change the category's custom permissions to let the Member role view discussions, NormalGirl can see the Super Secret Discussion.

Does this answer your question?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.