Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I downloaded Vanilla 2.2 from control panel and when launched I get "Something has gone wrong".

I downloaded Vanilla 2.2 from control panel and when launched I get "Something has gone wrong". I checked the other blog posts. didnt find any help there. Would love to use it. any ideas?

Answers

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

So Sorry you have problems... If you did not find any answers on what to do when you add "Something has gone wrong" in the search bar , then I am afraid there is not much anyone can do because that means there is no solution... :(

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@dmatheny

Welcome to the community.

You'll get more info by adding this to your conf/config.php:

$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;

As vrijvlinder pointed out, you could have found this out by searching the forum.

• I did search and did find that code. The problem is I don't know what to do with the code. I'm sorry but I'm not a programmer. I'm learning as I go. Any assistance as to where and how would be grateful.
    Dan

@dmatheny

Where your Vanilla is installed, there is a folder called conf, and in that a file called conf.php (NOT the config-defaults file!)

Add the line in that file and save it.

When you try to access your forum there should be a detailed error report on the screen.

Either screen grab that, or search the forum for what it says.

In general, you will get help more quickly and usefully if you include any steps you've already taken.

@dmatheny said:
    I did search and did find that code. The problem is I don't know what to do with the code. I'm sorry but I'm not a programmer. I'm learning as I go. Any assistance as to where and how would be grateful.
    Dan

You don't need to be a programmer to cut and paste... You do however need to read the documentation carefully because it explains it all in detail. You need to use the search function here more effectively by entering the exact question you have into the search bar. You will be amazed how quickly you find everything related.

I don't understand how people can continue claiming they did not find anything when they searched. There are hundreds of thousands of discussions covering the same exact thing over and over.

Then there is a tutorial category that contains even more useful info that took us time to create for people. This forum beats any other forum software when it comes to documentation and community support.
    But you need to make the effort.

• @dmatheny

This might be trivial but make you sure you have set permissions correctly on the server. Follow the installation process. If the webserver user cannot read and execute the files the forum won't work

• I think I'll go with PPhBB instead. I read several replies from the moderators (especially whu66). You guys must be burned out. The way you respond is condescending and unprofessional.

edited February 2016

@dmatheny

What?

You think I was condescending?

Are you sure?

How do you work that out?

tbh, I've grown accustomed to not expecting thanks for doing anything on the Interwebby, but to get slagged off for taking time out of my day to be polite and helpful is galling to say the very, very least.

@dmatheny said:
    You guys must be burned out.

Yes, from the same lazy questions people ask without even looking at the documentation before asking the same questions repeated 1000 times by people claiming they could not find anything relating to a bonk error...

Go with whatever you want, however you will not find any other forum software that works as good as this one, and easy to customize. If you find this is hard, the others are worse which is why droves of people switched to vanilla.

Threatening volunteers that you will use something else will not get the help you request. We are not paid to do this, we do this out of kindness. If you can't do your part in the learning curve, you need not mess around with software. Because there is a learning curve and we are not personal tutors. That is why we write tutorials and there are tons of documentation.

good luck...

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@vrijvlinder said:

Yes, from the same lazy questions people ask without even looking at the documentation before asking the same questions repeated 1000 times by people claiming they could not find anything relating to a bonk error...

The fact a question is repeated so often should be an indicator that we need to work on this issue rather than dismiss it.

A simple link to the documentation would be a better response. Keep in mind that different people search for different things. Adding a link just increases the visibility of the documentation wherever a new user comes into this site. Passive-aggressive or facetious moaning does nothing but harm the reputation of you and this support forum.

We cannot expect every person coming here to even know there is documentation.

I rather enjoyed @whu606's response in this thread. A welcome, short description of what to do, and how the documentation would help them.

@dmatheny good luck with your future forum.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

Fair enough, since many people seem to be unable to find anything about something has gone wrong by searching the foruum, maybe something is wrong with the search function... after all ?

Maybe there needs to be a something has gone wrong category so at least the discussions and solutions would be together in one place and would easier to find for those people who don't know how to search or don't want to bother searching.

My reputation is irrelevant . If people don't want my help they can say so. And as far as the reputation of this forum , I defend it as much as possible because I have almost 4 years invested here. How about the mods show some appreciation sometime for those of us who take the time to help people and provide solutions instead of diminishing our worth with comments like that and instead leave reactions often .

• tisufatisufa DKI JAKARTA New

@dmatheny said:
    I downloaded Vanilla 2.2 from control panel and when launched I get "Something has gone wrong". I checked the other blog posts. didnt find any help there. Would love to use it. any ideas?

You Can See it here:

https://youtu.be/oFDHA_6s1bQ

to solve "Something Has Gone Wrong" in Vanilla Forum.

May be useful.

This discussion has been closed.