Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

DiscussionController->$Name not found. [RESOLVED]

amackleyamackley New
edited March 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

I have a relatively new install of Vanilla. I'm familiar with internet technology, but Vanilla is new/unfamiliar to me.

I have set up the forum, added two categories. Added two discussion to one category. When anyone, including myself, adds a comment to either of the two discussion topics, I get a Fatal Error. (Debug is on.)

The error message:
The error occurred on or near: /home/marketing001/public_html/community/applications/vanilla/controllers/class.discussioncontroller.php

35: Deprecated('DiscussionController->CommentData', "DiscussionController->data('Comments')");

36: return $this->data('Comments');

37: break;

38: }

39: throw new Exception("DiscussionController->$Name not found.", 400);

40: }

41:

42: /**

43: * Default single discussion display.

Here are the last two elements of the backtrace:
[/home/marketing001/public_html/community/plugins/ReplyTo/class.replyto.plugin.php:658] DiscussionController->__get();

[/home/marketing001/public_html/community/plugins/ReplyTo/class.replyto.plugin.php:636] ReplyTo->AddReplyToButton();

I'm not certain what steps I need to take to resolve this.

Comments

• Options
    Application: Vanilla
    Application Version: 2.2
    PHP Version: 5.4.43
    Operating System: Linux
    Server Software: Apache/2.4.16
    Referer: http://community.docutech.com/index.php?p=/categories/testing
    User Agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.3; WOW64; rv:45.0) Gecko/20100101 Firefox/45.0
    Request Uri: /index.php?p=/discussion/4/testing-comments
    Controller: DiscussionController
    Method: __get

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

@amackley

Welcome to the community.

That's almost certainly an error in the ReplyTo plugin, which looks like it hasn't been updated in 5 years.

Try disabling it.

• Options

whu606. That is most certainly something I should have considered. I did turn it off, and it did solve the problem.

When dealing with new technology, sometimes it just takes a little kick in the pants to recognize what is right in front of my face.

Thanks.

• Options

How do I mark this issue as resolved?

• Options
    whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

I've added it into the title.

• Options
    noncenonce Necro-on Forensics
    edited March 2016

you said: That is most certainly something I should have considered.

Guvnor, we all had this same mistake, it was an innocent mistake, and broken add-ons should be put in a Necro Tomb so unsuspecting new users don't get necroed.

ughh another necro-on. will they live on forever.

Necroed - definition: fooled into downloading a broken plugin,theme, or application that will never return to life as a functional add-on. Any plugin or theme or application, that cause harm or wastes time of an unsuspecting user, because it is non-functional and should be removed to prevent this thing from happening.

If you didn't have the option to download a Necro-on, you wouldn't have had to waste your time.

it has been said before:

In simple terms regarding the large number of broken add-ons. a farmyard story might help.

Three cows go to the feed store.
    there are 10 types of cow food. Three types of cow food have spoiled and are beyond the expiration date. Two types of cow food are inedible. Four types of cow food are poisonous and will harm the cows.

Would the 3 cows (and a baby calf who doesn't know better) prefer:
    A vote to determine which feed will kill them or harm them OR The removal of the inedible, spoiled, and poisonous food. I suspect the cows would prefer to have a harm-free choice instead of guessing if the votes are accurate,
    But that would be cow logic not human voting.

When you go to the doctor and have a broken leg, do you want amateurs and quacks having a vote if the leg is broken?

In other words if a Necro-on is broken, would you prefer it removed form your list of choices by a knowledgeable person, or would you prefer to have a bunch of amateurs guess whether it will do you harm.

Another Necro-on that would be better off Necroed.

• Options
    edited March 2016

I don't know why it duplicated my post.

• Options

@amackley

I don't know if you run a tight ship or not. Or if you even care. This necro plugin inserts extra columns into your Comment table. Some people don't mind extra baggage. You might not care. In this case the "damage" is minimal but unnecessary considering you got nothing out of it except an error message, and a crippled forum until you were provided help.

Is it logical. I think not.

Ok we just injected some deadly toxins, go to the forum for a cure. Maybe we shouldn't allowed the injection of toxins in the first place. Eventually some one may come to their senses, before we are all necroed.

Necro-ons can be deleterious in more ways than one. You may think ok, I tried it it is broken. Some necro-ons create extra baggage that could conceivably affect performance, backup size and structural canges to your database even if you disable them.

On the surface, no problem to the uninformed, but if you look beyond skin-deep using a broken necro-on may have more impact than you think, besides wasting your time.

It all depends if you care about performance, unnecessary database changes, additional tables, and or columns that result from a plugin that won't work and never will with the current version.

I don't want to see that these necro-ons were not great when they were invented or created, but now many are just young frankensteins or zombies.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@nonce Talk is cheap; do something about it.

https://vanillaforums.org/discussion/comment/233034#Comment_233034

Please stop appending your necro-on discussion to non-related posts. And before you say this is related, old code != bad code.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

This discussion has been closed.