Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Jump to last read comment

From what I have read, this is supposed to be a 'default' function however, it doesn't seem to be working for me. Note: I have Vanilla embedded into my main website, but wouldn't think that would make a difference here.

Every time I click on a post, it takes me to the very first post. From the search here, all I have found was old topics and mentions of a Forum > Preferences area that I just can't seem to find in the dashboard. Can someone assist me as to how and make it where the users go directly to the last comment they read?

Comments

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭
    edited April 2016

Does the url end with #latest? If not then what happens when you add #latest at the end of url?
    See how #latest is added to the urls in here...

• Options

Yes it has the #latest at the end of the URL

Example: http://www.mywebsite.com/vanilla/index.php?p=/discussion/8/mytopic#latest

When I click the topic, it goes to the latest comment very briefly before going back to the top of the discussion. Weird.

Note: As stated earlier, Vanilla is embedded into my main website but not sure if this would matter.

• Options
    rbrahmsonrbrahmson "You may say I'm a dreamer / But I'm not the only one" NY ✭✭✭

I bet there is a Java script that does that.

• Options

There is a Javascript that is used to embed Vanilla, yes. Not sure if that is the culprit or not though.

• Options
    edited April 2016

Since nobody else complained and there are many "embedders" out here, I suspect other Javascript code. I apologize if I may be doing you a disservice but I can't look at your site and debug it now since I'm away from my computer and doing this on a small phone screen...

Try to disable plugins that include Javascript, perhaps one of these is the culprit...

• Options
    ZarconZarcon New
    edited April 2016

Thanks for replying @rbrahmson Not sure whats going on to be honest. Even if you go to the URL where Vanilla is stored, it seems now that if you click on a forum topic, it loads but quickly goes back to the Recent Discussion page for some reason.

You can see here: http://www.thebgenest.com/vanilla/#

BTW, not sure why there is a trailing /# at the end either.

Edit: Note, that is does not do this in the main site where it's embedded. In the main site, it just won't go to the #latest and stay there. It goes back up to the top.

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

The embedded iframe manipulates the host pages url and uses the hash syntax to pass the path to the iframe.

I am guessing there is some weird interplay there.

As @rbrahmson suggested, it is probably a JS conflict unique to your set up.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

Thanks @hgtonight - However, the URL I provided in the last post is not embedded. Why would it be doing it there? The installation is in a subfolder though as you can see by the /vanilla/.

• Options

Is there a difference on how your site behaves depending on whether the user is logged on or not?

• Options

@rbrahmson - No. I have tried it logged in and not logged in. Using the URL I gave, it will do that either way.

• Options

OK. So I turned on the browser console to see if I could figure out what was going in. I can see a number 2 beside editor.js script at line 693:12

Here is the code from line 693 in the editor.js file located in plugins/editor/js/

editor.on("focus", function() {
    if (!editor.composer.getValue().length) {
    insertNull();
    }
    });

Not sure if this will help or not.

• Options

When I go to your site ('http://www.thebgenest.com/vanilla/discussions') I see the typed url on my browser for a short time and then I see the the url changed to 'http://www.thebgenest.com/vanilla/#'. That is strange.

Then, when I go to one of the discussions (e.g. "New Forum Testing" whose link is "http://www.thebgenest.com/vanilla/discussion/3/new-forum-testing") I see the url for a brief second along with the discussion and then I am being returned back to "http://www.thebgenest.com/vanilla/#".

FYI I did my testing in Chrome incognito mode that ensures that I am not registered to your site nor do I have lingering cookies.

I think that you have some weird JS play in here. I suspect it has nothing to do with embedding. Try to deactivate the JS one at a time until this redirection stops.

• Options

@rbrahmson - You're not gonna believe this. I had the 'Force the forum to only be accessible through this url' checked in the Advanced Embed Settings.

Now, the #latest works just fine when viewing from that URL too. However, it still doesn't work in the main site where it's embedded.

• Options

My previous comments regarding weird behavior were related to the unembedded forum. My thinking is that you have to figure this out first and then check on the embedded version.

• Options

@rbrahmson - The 'unembedded' version is working like a charm now after removing that checkmark from that advance embed settings..

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

Where is the embedded forum?

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Options

@hgtonight - Mind if I PM that to you instead?

• Options

Chrome inspector console shows that capture apps generates warning (VeApps: no onload data to capture):
    B9497783.129100004;sz=1x2;ord=491570655200;dc_lat=;dc_rdid=;tag_for_child_directed_treatment=:1 Failed to execute 'write' on 'Document': It isn't possible to write into a document from an asynchronously-loaded external script unless it is explicitly opened.

• Options

@rbrahmson - Right now, the unembedded is working just fine. If you want to take a look at the embedded version, let me know and I can PM that to you as well. That one is the only left to fix but I think I might already know why the #latest isn't working on the embed.

The page this is embedded on looks like this www.mysite.com/page/forum

When you click a topic link within the embedded forum, it adds a # to forum making it look like this www.mysite.com/page/forum#/

So if I have a topic called 'Testing', when you click the link, it becomes
    www.mysite.com/page/forum#/discussion/3/Testing

So #latest cannot be added to that cause it gets stripped. I assume there can't be two # signs or something.

• Options

Zarcon - had I noticed your prior note to hgtonight before I posted I wouldn't have - he is a much more experienced member of this forum and much of what I know comes from him.