Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Shifting/Changing Post Backgrounds

edited May 2016 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi there! My Forum ist getting nicer and I am learning more css than ever! :proud:

For the user expierience i would like to color the post backgrounds diffrently. So I would like to have diffrent backgrounds for even and uneven posts. (Like dark grey for the first, white for the second, dark grey for the third, white for the fourth and so on.) This way the user can diffrence faster between single posts in the discussion.

I managed to color only all of them at a time, so I hoped some of you coding pros might have a tipp for me how i could archieve this kind of behavior on my forum.

I am using 2.2.1 and bootstrap as theme. (sandstone version.)

Best Answer

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin
    Answer ✓

Use the "Inspect Element" function of your browser. You will see that your comments either have the class "Item Alt ItemComment" or "Item ItemComment". So styling all comments of class "Alt" will give you the desired result.

Answers

• Options
    Answer ✓

Use the "Inspect Element" function of your browser. You will see that your comments either have the class "Item Alt ItemComment" or "Item ItemComment". So styling all comments of class "Alt" will give you the desired result.

• Options

Gnaaargh, i looked the hole night on the classes and looked for something like this^^ Thank you very much! I shouldnt sit that long on my computer^^

If anybody else encouter this an stumble upon this thread via search here is the code i used via edit css:

.Item.Alt.ItemComment {
    background-color: #F5F5F5;
    }

• Options

I would think about making it less specific. In the discussion list, the discussion items also have this class and also the messages in a conversation. Maybe your styling looks more consistent if those alternating lines are styled the same wherever it is possible.

• Options

Hm, i checked the discussion list and the messages, but it seems that the code only affects the posts.

• Options

That's what I've said: your code is so specific (it even includes ItemComment) that it only works on comments. You could try finding a css rule that works for all Alt items.

• Options

And what I totally forgot was that there is a way to do so in CSS without any styling at all: https://www.w3.org/Style/Examples/007/evenodd.en.html

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited May 2016

There are ways to add classes to existing classed elements via plugin or jquery
    This is all dependent on the theme and the default theme code. You could either add this via theme or plugin.. to pretty much anything. Then use the your new class name to add the desired changes in the css file.

Example:

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $( ".Message" ).addClass( "myClass yourClass" );
     });
    </script>';

• Options
    hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@vrijvlinder said:
    There are ways to add classes to existing classed elements via plugin or jquery
    This is all dependent on the theme and the default theme code. You could either add this via theme or plugin.. to pretty much anything. Then use the your new class name to add the desired changes in the css file.

Example:

<script type="text/javascript">
    jQuery(document).ready(function($){
    $( ".Message" ).addClass( "myClass yourClass" );
     });
    </script>';

You should just change your CSS to match the jquery selector instead of appending new classes.

Unless you are doing something really funky for filtering, or dynamic, JS shouldn't be used to add classes.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.