"assetModel_styleCss_handler" for JS

ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator
edited September 2016 in Development

We can use the assetModel_styleCss_handler to include a "CSS file in all non-Dashboard pages" (not admin back-end pages).

Is there a similar one for including JS files? If not, what's a good way to only include JS files on the front-end?

One way I like is if ($sender->MasterView !== 'admin').

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

Comments

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Can't you simply base render ?

$sender->addJsFile(asset('cache/pluginname/'.c('pluginname.configname').'.js', true));

• ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator
    edited September 2016

The base_render_before event code is run in the admin dashboard too. This is where putting the addJsFile() or addCssFile() calls within a if ($sender->MasterView !== 'admin') block would do the trick. I forgot to clarify where I'd use this in the first post.

I'm looking for an event like assetModel_styleCss, which adds CSS only to non-admin pages, for JS.

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    // Adds the Js to every page except the dashboard.
        public function base_render_before($sender) {
            if ($sender->MasterView == 'admin' ) {
                return;  
    }else{

$sender->addJsFile(asset('cache/pluginname/'.c('pluginname.configname').'.js', true));     

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

You can add js files like that:

public function assetModel_styleCss_handler($sender, $args) {
            Gdn::controller()->addJsFile('foo.js','plugins/foo');
        }

but using base_render_before is much more common.

Shadowdare
  • I have opened an issue about a JS-event similar to styleCSS before:
    https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla/issues/3020

I believe this is going to be unified at some point when asset minification is going to arrive in the core.

My themes: pure | minusbaseline - My plugins: CSSedit | HTMLedit | InfiniteScroll | BirthdayModule | [all] - PM me about customizations

Shadowdare
  • ShadowdareShadowdare π Moderator
    edited September 2016

@R_J, although JS files can be added in assetModel_styleCss, the documentation only shows it being used for CSS, so another event may be added for JS files. @Bleistivt, I believe it probably is going to be used for asset minification, too.

I recall that a experimental config setting was added in Vanilla to enable asset minification, but haven't seen any updates about the feature.

• LincLinc Director of Development Detroit Vanilla Staff

I know minification is on the roadmap for ops, but I don't know the details of how it will be implemented or the specific constraints surrounding it.