Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Granting "view" permissions to Members who haven't confirmed their email yet

Hi, when a user registers they are assigned the Member role but must confirm their email address. Until then though, I would like them to browse the forum and view their profile page e.g. /community/profile (like Guests can), but instead, they are getting a "Page Not Found" error when trying to access that page, and in addition to that, none of the Categories, or Discussions are visible on the forum homepage.

I have had a look in the "Roles & Permission" area but everything looks normal and I can't see any options for user who haven't confirmed their email address.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

Have you got a link to the site ? Please install vanilla 2.3

• Options

Hi @vrijvlinder - the site isn't live yet so don't have a link. But, i've upgraded to 2.3 and still similar behaviour is happening - the user's profile page is returning "Permission denied" until their email address is confirmed.

One thing I have found though is that if I set the "Default Type" of the Unconfirmed role to "Unconfirmed" then discussions etc become visible. Why is this so?

Any ideas how to enable their profile view?

Many thanks.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

No, I don't have my crystal ball anymore... Basically people who have not confirmed their email are not allowed to post or to view profiles. They are guests.

if I set the "Default Type" of the Unconfirmed role to "Unconfirmed"then discussions etc become visible. Why is this so?

I don't know but generally has to do with the setting the wrong permissions for roles.

• Options

@vrijvlinder said:
    Basically people who have not confirmed their email are not allowed to post or to view profiles. They are guests.

But guests are allowed to view profiles - so new "unconfirmed" members currently have fewer permissions than guests!

Anybody else experiencing the same issue?

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

The system gives whichever role you have given type 'Unconfirmed' to users until they confirm their email. That role's permission govern what they can and cannot view, including profiles.

• Options

@Linc said:
    The system gives whichever role you have given type 'Unconfirmed' to users until they confirm their email. That role's permission govern what they can and cannot view, including profiles.

Well this is the thing - The permissions under the "Unconfirmed" role grant View permissions on Profile. But still getting "Permission Problem".

I have also just tried setting the Default Type of Unconfirmed, to Default - still no difference :(

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

Have you confirmed the user you're testing is actually in that role?

• Options

@Linc said:
    Have you confirmed the user you're testing is actually in that role?

Looking at the UserRole table, it appears new users get assigned to the "Members" role by default. But it makes no difference - if I change their role to "Guest", or "Unconfirmed" they still can't view any profiles, including their own.

Additionally, in the User table - the Permissions field is empty for new users.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

The User.Permissions field being empty isn't necessarily a problem. That's a cache.

• Options
    pavsidpavsid New
    edited February 2017

Anybody have any more ideas on this one - to confirm: Guests can view profiles & discussions, however new members who haven't yet confirmed their email can't. I have set the Default Type to "Guest" for the "Member" role, but still new members can't view profiles or discussions. Thanks.