Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problems installing vanilla2.3

2»

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

@ultDA said:
    Note:
    Before moving to the forum directory, manually using this url would get me to the admin setup page; however, when submitting the configs it would fail again.

You have moved some files? Don't forget to delete all *.ini files in the /cache folder after that!

• AWESOME - thanks!

I am curious why that statement wasn't in the config-defalts.php file but i'm more happy we're up and running.

Thanks again for the great commitment to the community. This is what makes good products great and loyal customers!

Every possible config setting has a default value. There are a lot of things that you can do by adding some keys to the configuration. Many of them cannot be seen in Vanillas dashboard. Vanilla aims at a) being simple to use and b) being mighty for those who need that.

If you stick with Vanilla you will see that there are a lot of good things under the hood that you cannot see and only bring up by adding something to the config.php (my favorite is $Configuration['Conversations']['Subjects']['Visible'] = true;) and if you go beyond that and start to develop, you will find a framework that makes even complex tasks really easy.

But I think you should still try to solve the problem that you cannot use nice urls. Normally you shouldn't make any changes to the config-defaults.php file. So you should better move that line from config-defaults to the config.php file

Then you would have to try again. Is your forum really at www.example.com/forum? Try again that "old" and simple .htaccess file and use RewriteBase /forum, setting the config entry to "true"

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited June 2017

Regardless of the age of that tutorial , it still applies and if you had read it carefully you would have solved this a long time ago. Making us repeat the same info over and over is redundant . Why do people fail to read the documentation and the tutorials ??? Why did we bother writing them ? Glad you sorted its t out, but still read the stuff . You will need it in the future anyway.