HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Montreal is under water !

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

I've had two meetings with them today and no one mentioned it so I assume Old Port isn't under any threat.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
  • Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited May 2017

Hey guys it's not where the office is, but unfortunately it's where I live. I live about 30 mintues by train from the office. I live right on border of Pierrefonds/Roxboro which is a borough (county) of Montreal. Thankfully my house is not yet inundated, but it's close. Maybe 2 blocks away.

Here is what the area looks like at the moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B48MB5_2HLQ

I have been donating my time after work to help neighbors, donating food to the evacuated, ect. However, I feel safe enough to come to work. I moved my stuff that's important to the second floor.

If you wish to donate, Red Cross has opened a fund:

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?ea.client.id=1951&ea.campaign.id=69612&_ga=2.255824142.723887049.1494259359-1749562514.1494259332

In full transparency, I have not donated myself yet, because I am not sure if my house will be safe. It's far from over, because the dams close to the city are overloaded.

Anyway, don't worry. I am fine for now... I wouldn't be at work, if I was nervous that my house would be flooded today.

• Options

OMG that is awful !! I hope the water recedes soon and all goes back to normal. But the damage will cost so much to fix..

• Options
    AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    edited May 2017

Yeah, there is a scandal here now, because we don't really have "flood" insurance. We are covered for sewer back up ect. I think the government will have a fund, but the people are sying this may only be $3-4k per person. Not enough to make major repairs.

I just feel bad for people like this, who had their house for sale. I guess there is always someone worse off ( notice the a vendre or 'for sale' sign)

This is also very near the electric powered train I take to come to work. If the street over from here floods, it cuts the Island of Montreal in half in terms of the commuter train network. each train carries about 30,000 daily riders.

My dad is close to 70 and says he's never seen it this bad. It's a once in a century flood (this bad at least).

Anyway, checked at home just now and we still seem okay. So thank goodness for that. The army is nearby and creating dams so the water doesn't come down any more.

• Options