Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product
Vanilla 2.6 is here! It includes security fixes and requires PHP 7.0. We have therefore ALSO released Vanilla 2.5.2 with security patches if you are still on PHP 5.6 to give you additional time to upgrade.
Please upgrade to 2.3 here. The 2.2 and earlier branches are no longer being updated.

Yet another "Something Went Wrong" post

I inherited a forum at version 2.1.13p1. We have the production version running fine without issues, and had a mirror running locally for development.

I attempted to upgrade our development instance to the latest version (2.3.1). I overwrote the files, cleared all files in /cache, and accessed /utility/update from the browser, and nothing but the "Something Went Wrong" error on both the homepage and /utility/update pages.

I copied all the files and database from production down to our dev server to re-establish our dev instance, yet the same error "Something Went Wrong" on both the homepage and /utility/update pages.

I have followed the instructions outlined in these two posts:

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/troubleshooting/
https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/219669/#Comment_219669

I have done the following:

• Added "$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;" to /conf/config.php
  • Removed all "EnabledPlugins" lines from /conf/config.php
  • I reverted the theme to the "default" in /conf/config.php
  • I cleared all files in /cache repeatedly
  • Apache is running as the owner of the files, but for good measure I chown -R AND chmod -R 777 all the files
  • I see no errors in the Apache error log, the /log directory is empty, and the Debug = true configuration line didn't do anything. No errors on screen either.

Before I move to upgrade to the latest version I would like to get our Dev instance working again. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Comments

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

Please make sure that the line $Configuration['Debug'] = true; is in your config. And also make sure that there is no second line $Configuration['Debug'] = false; below the ...true line.

When disabling plugins, don't disable the htmlawed plugin. It's a requirement.
    Don't delete the Smarty cache folder in the /cache folder. Only the *.ini files.

There have been some major changes in the Vanilla files. Instead of copying the new files to the old installation, it is safer to

• unzip a brand new 2.3.1 download in a clean folder
    • copy the old /uploads folder
    • copy the old /config folder
    • copy the .htaccess file
  • @R_J Thanks! It was the missing Smarty directory within the cache directory. I now have our dev instance up and running again.

Now for the second part of the problem. Upgrading to 2.3.1. I followed the instructions here: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla#upgrading

Overwrote the old files with the new files. Removed the *.ini files from cache. Visited /utility/update and received this error:

25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden Exception: Data truncated for column 'Type' at row 1 in /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.database.php on 412
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #0 [internal function]: Gdn_ErrorHandler(256, 'Data truncated ...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 412, Array)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #1 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.database.php(412): trigger_error('Data truncated ...', 256)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #2 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(344): Gdn_Database->query('alter table `GD...')
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #3 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php(595): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->query('alter table `GD...')
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #4 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(408): Gdn_MySQLStructure->_modify(false, false)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #5 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php(626): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->set(false, false)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #6 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php(938): include('/var/www/vhosts...')
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #7 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(309): UpdateModel->runStructure()
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #8 [internal function]: UtilityController->update()
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #9 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(326): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #10 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/index.php(44): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #11 {main}