Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Yet another "Something Went Wrong" post

I inherited a forum at version 2.1.13p1. We have the production version running fine without issues, and had a mirror running locally for development.

I attempted to upgrade our development instance to the latest version (2.3.1). I overwrote the files, cleared all files in /cache, and accessed /utility/update from the browser, and nothing but the "Something Went Wrong" error on both the homepage and /utility/update pages.

I copied all the files and database from production down to our dev server to re-establish our dev instance, yet the same error "Something Went Wrong" on both the homepage and /utility/update pages.

I have followed the instructions outlined in these two posts:

http://docs.vanillaforums.com/developers/troubleshooting/
https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/219669/#Comment_219669

I have done the following:

• Added "$Configuration['Debug'] = TRUE;" to /conf/config.php
  • Removed all "EnabledPlugins" lines from /conf/config.php
  • I reverted the theme to the "default" in /conf/config.php
  • I cleared all files in /cache repeatedly
  • Apache is running as the owner of the files, but for good measure I chown -R AND chmod -R 777 all the files
  • I see no errors in the Apache error log, the /log directory is empty, and the Debug = true configuration line didn't do anything. No errors on screen either.

Before I move to upgrade to the latest version I would like to get our Dev instance working again. Any ideas on how to fix this issue?

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

Please make sure that the line $Configuration['Debug'] = true; is in your config. And also make sure that there is no second line $Configuration['Debug'] = false; below the ...true line.

When disabling plugins, don't disable the htmlawed plugin. It's a requirement.
    Don't delete the Smarty cache folder in the /cache folder. Only the *.ini files.

There have been some major changes in the Vanilla files. Instead of copying the new files to the old installation, it is safer to

• unzip a brand new 2.3.1 download in a clean folder
    • copy the old /uploads folder
    • copy the old /config folder
    • copy the .htaccess file
  • @R_J Thanks! It was the missing Smarty directory within the cache directory. I now have our dev instance up and running again.

Now for the second part of the problem. Upgrading to 2.3.1. I followed the instructions here: https://github.com/vanilla/vanilla#upgrading

Overwrote the old files with the new files. Removed the *.ini files from cache. Visited /utility/update and received this error:

25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden Exception: Data truncated for column 'Type' at row 1 in /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.database.php on 412
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #0 [internal function]: Gdn_ErrorHandler(256, 'Data truncated ...', '/var/www/vhosts...', 412, Array)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #1 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.database.php(412): trigger_error('Data truncated ...', 256)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #2 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(344): Gdn_Database->query('alter table `GD...')
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #3 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.mysqlstructure.php(595): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->query('alter table `GD...')
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #4 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/database/class.databasestructure.php(408): Gdn_MySQLStructure->_modify(false, false)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #5 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/applications/dashboard/settings/structure.php(626): Gdn_DatabaseStructure->set(false, false)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #6 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/applications/dashboard/models/class.updatemodel.php(938): include('/var/www/vhosts...')
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #7 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.utilitycontroller.php(309): UpdateModel->runStructure()
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #8 [internal function]: UtilityController->update()
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #9 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/library/core/class.dispatcher.php(326): call_user_func_array(Array, Array)
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #10 /var/www/vhosts/html/forums/index.php(44): Gdn_Dispatcher->dispatch()
    25 Sep 2017 - 21:56:52 localhost Garden   #11 {main}

• vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP

You need to run utility/structure...

• @vrijvlinder Yep, that did it. Thanks!