HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hosting Vanilla on FastComet or SiteGuard

Maybe this should be posted in the "general" section and not development... just looking for some feedback if anyone can offer it. I'm new to Vanilla and getting ready to start my site. I was wondering if anyone is hosting on either FastComet.com or SiteGround.com. They both seem to meet the recommended requirements for Vanilla Open Source and they both are able to grow with the site. I have never hear of them and was looking for any feedback the Community might have to offer a newbie!! Thanks for any advise in advance.

Comments

• R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

The reason for not getting an answer wasn't the category, in my opinion :wink:

But just to not give you the impression that you are ignored: I've never heard of them. I'm not sure if there is some kind of comparison portal for web hosting services in the US, for the German companies I could recommend one but I don't think this is of any help for you...

I have often used small and unknown providers for webhosting and experienced a) exceptional support which b) was needed more often than with bigger companies.

If you need an uptime of >99% try to go with the well known companies. If >95% is okay for you and you either want to save money or want to support smaller companies, choose one of them.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

It may well be that no one on here has used them.

Another way of looking at it would be to say what you are expecting to spend, what you are expecting to get from it, and then ask people how their current plan compares.

Even a link to the plan you are thinking of would probably do, if you want more responses.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited January 2018

The consensus around the office is that Digital Ocean is the preferred developer option. For more managed services, I don't really have an opinion you'd find helpful as I've found them to be consistently bad from my perspective / values.

• whu606whu606 I'm not a SuperHero; I just like wearing tights... MVP

From a personal perspective, I would certainly recommend DO, provided you are happy/able to manage your virtual service yourself.

• Just wanted to thank everyone for their input... I will be not using either of those hosting companies as they don't meet the requirements for Vanilla after checking again. Thanks!

• @gbells said:
    Just wanted to thank everyone for their input... I will be not using either of those hosting companies as they don't meet the requirements for Vanilla after checking again. Thanks!

Any hosting with litespeed will work very well,