Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

2.5.1 first impression

This is from the point of view of a first time user, testing different platforms for reliability.
My biggest problem in Vanilla is with plugins, which are not treated as core functionality.

2.3 had a large preinstalled set of plugins which covered a lot of essential areas (e.g. gamification).
It is a common assumption, that all parts of an official release, including plugins, are certified to work with the new build.

Now, 2.5.1 includes a much smaller set of plugins, practically removing a lot of functionality (like YADA).
Yes, they can be installed, but they can't be trusted to work with the latest build.

This creates a perception, that Vanilla's feature set is restricted to its core functions, and every extension can be broken in a future release. It doesn't give much confidence in using any of the extensions.

The obvious justification is that updating plugins is responsibility of their creators, but I would argue that those included with a build should have a special, protected status, and should be treated as a part of a modular core functionality.

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

I'd generally agree with the assessment that there are some addons that we should move to core functionality, and we do plan to start transitioning some of those as we're able to.

That said, 'badges' (our proprietary addon) is not on the short list for that change, and the 'YAGA' addon (which has some equivalent functionality) has never been distributed with core, so I'm not sure where you got that idea from.

• Options
    vrijvlindervrijvlinder Papillon-Sauvage MVP
    edited March 2018

Vanilla has changed since many plugins themes and applications were written. This is a watershed moment for this software in terms of modernization . Many if not all plugins themes and apps written for prior versions , may no longer work as they are. That does not mean they can’t be improved or modernized . It just means some of the authors are no longer involved in extending the software or have not updated their creations .

This however does not stop
    Anyone from modifying or making old addons work again if they don’t do now .

This remains an OS project and it is open for improvement by users .