Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Try Vanilla Forums Cloud product

In this Discussion

upgrade 2.1.5 to 2.5 [RESOLVED]

mbjvfxmbjvfx
edited May 14 in Vanilla 2.5 Help

Hi There,

Working on upgrading my website from 2.1.5 to 2.5.1. Note that the 2.1.5 site has rewrite-url's working correctly as is.

I have not had a lot of confidence in messing with config files and what not and thus a long onverdue update is happening. I figured I better learn the process now or forever be left behind with critical updates. I hope that my experience can help someone else along.

To get my test directory working I have copied the working forum contents and database to my test directory "mysite.com/vanilla2/vanilla". I have updated the /conf/config.php file with the copied database on the server. Before updating to 2.5.1, the version 2.1.5 in the test directory is working as it should.

I then proceed to update backing up the .htaccess, config.php files and copy over the 2.5.1 files as outlined in the update instructions. I then run the /utility/config, delete cache, run utility/update again. I go to the server and make sure that php 7.1 is running for the installed directory. Make sure the url rewrite is enabled in the config.php file, line entry: "$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true;".

At this point, as far as I can tell everything should work assuming the 2.1.5 (enabled url rewrites functions) .htaccess file is OK? When running php 7.1 I see a "something has gone wrong error", When I run php5.6 I see a 500 error. Everything I have read seems to indicate that this would probably be a .htaccess file issue. I tried using a couple of example files I found on the forum and could not get any of them to work. I tried the .htaccess.dist file found in the 2.5 archive and it seemed to takes me to www.example.org after going to my install directory through web browser. As suggested I try and go to the /discussions by manually typing this into the browser and it goes to a vanilla generated "page not found" page. Edit: I should note that when I try and go to install/activity using the 2.1.5 .htaccess file, this page works correctly.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing 404 error pages that might come from a bad .htaccess file, but followed this page.
https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/25552/tutorial-diagnose-page-not-found-404-errors

The only other item I don't think I have addressed is the "update any locales you have installed". I'm not sure what this means and how I would go about changing this.

Anyhow I hope I'm overlooking something obvious. I hope you might be able to help guide me with further troubleshooting to diagnose what might be happening. I'm happy to to supply more information, screen grabs, etc.

Thanks!

Comments

Sign In or Register to comment.