Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

upgrade 2.1.5 to 2.5 [RESOLVED]

mbjvfxmbjvfx
edited May 2018 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi There,

Working on upgrading my website from 2.1.5 to 2.5.1. Note that the 2.1.5 site has rewrite-url's working correctly as is.

I have not had a lot of confidence in messing with config files and what not and thus a long onverdue update is happening. I figured I better learn the process now or forever be left behind with critical updates. I hope that my experience can help someone else along.

To get my test directory working I have copied the working forum contents and database to my test directory "mysite.com/vanilla2/vanilla". I have updated the /conf/config.php file with the copied database on the server. Before updating to 2.5.1, the version 2.1.5 in the test directory is working as it should.

I then proceed to update backing up the .htaccess, config.php files and copy over the 2.5.1 files as outlined in the update instructions. I then run the /utility/config, delete cache, run utility/update again. I go to the server and make sure that php 7.1 is running for the installed directory. Make sure the url rewrite is enabled in the config.php file, line entry: "$Configuration['Garden']['RewriteUrls'] = true;".

At this point, as far as I can tell everything should work assuming the 2.1.5 (enabled url rewrites functions) .htaccess file is OK? When running php 7.1 I see a "something has gone wrong error", When I run php5.6 I see a 500 error. Everything I have read seems to indicate that this would probably be a .htaccess file issue. I tried using a couple of example files I found on the forum and could not get any of them to work. I tried the .htaccess.dist file found in the 2.5 archive and it seemed to takes me to www.example.org after going to my install directory through web browser. As suggested I try and go to the /discussions by manually typing this into the browser and it goes to a vanilla generated "page not found" page. Edit: I should note that when I try and go to install/activity using the 2.1.5 .htaccess file, this page works correctly.

I'm not sure if I'm seeing 404 error pages that might come from a bad .htaccess file, but followed this page.
https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/25552/tutorial-diagnose-page-not-found-404-errors

The only other item I don't think I have addressed is the "update any locales you have installed". I'm not sure what this means and how I would go about changing this.

Anyhow I hope I'm overlooking something obvious. I hope you might be able to help guide me with further troubleshooting to diagnose what might be happening. I'm happy to to supply more information, screen grabs, etc.

Thanks!

Comments