A proposal about future releases
I most certainly appreciate the great work that's gone into Vanilla lately, and it's looking very promising. With that said, if I might offer a perspective as one who runs a very busy community forum (forum.audiob.us), though: I would certainly not have done the upgrade to 2.8 had I known the number of severe outstanding issues I would bump up against. I've lost many days of work having to try to patch issues that have come up, especially around the new rich editor, but also assorted Bonks, layout problems, and usability concerns. I'm swimming in complaints from the community right now, and feeling a bit of a chump.
I would normally have waited for the next point release, but the notes about security content had me thinking it was a high-priority update, so I jumped in, after taking it for a quick spin on a staging site and not noticing the issues that became clear once live.
It's probably too late to put the cat back in the bag with this release, but I'm wondering if more measures might be put in place for the future, to avoid more premature releases. I'm thinking about more stringent testing procedures, perhaps more time spent running the new software on the hosted site in advance of a major launch.
Anyway, please don't take this as a rejection of the great work the Vanilla team have been doing - it remains a splendid piece of software, and that it's free and open source is wonderful. I'll try to do my part to at least continue to point out remaining issues, and look forward to 2.8.1.