Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.

Issue with Locale api - translations.js 404

AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
edited June 10 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi Guys,

Appreciate if you can help me on my issue, I tried to do a fresh 2.8 install. however i noticed there's a 404 on the api for translations.js

upon checking the api list from my dashboard, i don't seem to have the api endpoint for it (api for getting the translations.js)

I've crossed compare it with the vanilla documentation here =>https://docs.vanillaforums.com/help/apiv2/swagger/

there's an extra api url for the .js file

May I know if there's anything i missed from the fresh install.

I actually don't need a translation as im using English for my forum. Is it possible or advisable to isable this api call (to retrieve the translations.js)

Some other infos that might be useful

a. /public_html/locales/ <empty>

b. inside the /conf folder, I only got these

c. I have this in my conf/config.php => $Configuration['Garden']['Locale'] = 'en';

Comments

• R_JR_J Cheerleader & Troubleshooter Munich Moderator

My guess is that you haven't enabled pretty urls

• AoleeAolee Hobbyist & Coder ✭✭
    edited June 10

@R_J pretty url works fine by the way and

/api/v2/locales/translations/en

gives us proper response

Maybe your server tries to serve static files directly.

But that translation.js is no static file: it is generated dynamically and as you see from the api result, there are translations like that included (just as a nexample):

"BanReason.1":"Banned by a community manager."

Without that translation the string "BanReason.1" would appear in your forum instead of the informative sentence.

Sorry I just realized you wrote that:

upon checking the api list from my dashboard, i don't seem to have the api endpoint for it (api for getting the translations.js)

That's a problem. Please make sure that you have uploaded all files. Though this would be the easiest solution this is the most improbable...

And another senseless post from me. You can use the endpoint, therefore the files should be there, forget what I wrote: nothing helpful by now :-(

OMG! Seems like I do not read thoroughful and only babbling around today. In my installation there is only the above line for the locales api, too.

Sorry for all this confusion, I will only post again if I have taken time to think of what I have written, promised 🤐

hehe it's ok thanks for replying to my post @R_J right now as a quick hack. i copied the content of the translations.js from vanilla site. and created directories and static file just to satisfy the request. I'll also try to dig it later.

• charrondevcharrondev Application Developer (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@SysCo This likely comes down to some server configuration issues.

If you have a configured block in your server matching on certain files such as .json you will need to ensure it falls back to the PHP-FPM process.

Eg.

location ~* \.(?:ico|css|js|gif|jpe?g|png|svg|woff)$ {
      expires 7d;
      add_header Pragma public;
      add_header Cache-Control "public";
      try_files $uri @vanilla;
    }

# Default location handling
    location / {
      try_files $uri @vanilla;
    }

location @vanilla {
      fastcgi_param X_VANILLA 1;
      rewrite ^ /index.php$uri last;
    }

Notice the fallback in the first location's try_files directive.

Aolee

hi @charrondev arg yeah you are right! Since the api url ended up with .js it went to that block. Many thanks it's working now!

• I am also facing the same issue.

edited June 17

@juliatom543 as @charrondev mentioned. it's a webserver config side issue, handling the url re-write.

Are you using NGINX ? or Apache?

The one above example is for Nginx conf file, if you are using Apache ensure that your mod_rewrite is working in order to handle the url with .js extension.