HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Rich Editor 100%CPU and >1GB memory usage

VF 3.1

A member at my forum just reported that while writing a post, he had to look up some info meanwhile, that took some time - he then experienced:

CPU usage maxed 100%

Memory usage of the browser exceeded 1GB

It then hung and he had to force close the browser.

He have experienced it several times.

A memory leak was mentioned fixed here

https://open.vanillaforums.com/discussion/comment/257231/#Comment_257231

As I recall Rich Editor uses the browser much more.

Are there improvements related to this issue coming with the next release?

In other words should I wait out the next release before trying to figure out reproduction steps?

Comments

• Options
    KasparKaspar Moderator

I dropped a 1071 words 6788 character text chunk in editor and left it for 1.5 hours while doing other stuff, 10 tabs open

Browser memory usage exceeded 1gb(not surprised)

CPU usage : 5-10%

Issue not replicated.

• Options
    KasparKaspar Moderator

The member replied that firefox is being used.

Had him test with chrome - no issue.

Related to firefox

• Options

Unfortunately in my forum the rich editor has been a hassle in terms of performance, and especially on mobile devices, many users have complained about the performance and many cannot edit their comments because they are reading infinitely.

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff

@Kaspar We've made quite a lot of performance improvements and bug fixes in the last 2 months to Rich Editor, and I don't 100% remember what made it into 3.1 and what didn't. We should have a 3.2 coming this week with a load of additional fixes. That release will be equivalent to the version we are running on this forum (open.vanillaforums.com).

If you can reproduce it on this site, it's definitely still an issue, and opening an issue w/ repro steps would be appreciated.

• Options
    R_JR_J Ex-Fanboy Munich Admin

I wrote a longer post and when the text becomes longer and also code formatting is involved, performance goes down. I will create an issue with a link to the comment

• Options

Hello,

I had the same problem with Vanilla 3.1 (when Rich Editor is displayed), but here with Vanilla 3.2 the CPU charge is much better.

• Options

Vanilla 3.2? is that an unreleased version @P3ter ?

• Options
    charrondevcharrondev Developer Lead (PHP, JS) Montreal Vanilla Staff