Poll: Potential new installation requirements for enhanced addon capabilities
I'm putting out this poll today as I write some new documentation for some new addon capabilities in Vanilla.
As some of you might have seen, some time ago we stopped shipping the git version of Vanilla with prebuilt assets.
These capabilities include:
->addCss(), or event involved).
- Building Views in React.
- Using the 100's of built-in React components & utilities.
- Using the 100's of built-in utilities.
- Build-time syntax validation.
- Build-in transpilation and compatibility layer to support older browsers (unfortunately IE11 is still sticking around for a while).
- Built-in SASS stylesheet support.
All of this gets done together to produce the outputted files in the
/dist directory of your Vanilla installation.
Unfortunately, in order to make use of these capabilities, and addon needs to be built at the same time as the rest of Vanilla. That means we have nothing to worry about for our built-in plugins, but I'd like for the addon developers here to be able to make use of these capabilities in their own addons.
In order for that to happen an addon would have to have additional system requirements of any Vanilla installation that uses it.
- Node 10.x &
yarnwould be required on the target system to build the addon into Vanilla.
- The target system would have to run the following in order to build everything together after updating vanilla, or after installing a new addon.
yarn install yarn build
I should have put this in here earlier, but to install the pre-requisites for this you would essentially need to run something like the following once on your server.
# Using Ubuntu curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10.x | sudo -E bash - sudo apt-get install -y nodejs # Using Debian, as root curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_10.x | bash - apt-get install -y nodejs
Are you guys willing to add an extra step to your install/update process if it means enhanced capabilities for your addons?
If you aren't willing to do this, could you please comment with what makes this extra step too difficult for your installation?