Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Wishlist for Vanilla 2.0

edited November 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Here are mine , you can add yours. these features should be in core Vanilla. This is NOT extension wishlist.
  1. Standardize on a javascript library. (i prefer standardizing it on jQuery)
  2. Template Engine. If you want more themes (not styles) then you need a theme engine. I prefer PHPtemplate type engine. Simple php functions that can be called.
  3. Extension update notification
  4. Extension dependencies and suggestions
  5. Multi user whisper, and whisper to roles
  6. Subcategories
  7. Category dependent themes
  8. Discussion moderation
  9. Add page management extension to core

Comments

• Options
    There is already a SVN repository available :) Search this site for the url.

Also, I don't think there will be a Vanilla 2.0.... If Mark will release a new version it'll be probably 1.0.2 or whatever. Version 2.0 would mean he'll completely rewrite the framework :P
    I do like the javascript idea and I'm also waiting for extension update checking :)
  • Options
    yeah i think extension update/auto-install a la firefox extensions update and dependencies check would make vanilla really sweet.
  • Options
    Mark has said he wont do autoinstall of stuff for security reasons. It's not that he doesnt like the idea though. If someone can work out a secure way of doing it then he'd probably be interested.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    For the record, I had prototype in Vanilla in a previous incarnation, and everyone complained that it was too much js to load.
  • Options
    akbakb
    edited October 2006
    well, i dont know what i would want at the moment. all the things that i'd like to see in vanilla are mostly implementable as plugins, but I dont really know what could be done at the core :-) okay, I'd like to have email announcements of new answers for the lussumo forum itself, but i dont think that has anything to do with what you asked :D
  • Options
    Prototype is big obviously. Hence why not use jQuery :)
    jQuery is small and fast. it will be perfect.
  • Options
    features ... i would say :

1. hints
    2. hints
    3. hints
    4. hints
    5. social network alike buddylists in profiles
    6. hints

and last but not least hints.
  • Options
    what are hints?
  • Options
    drupal will use jQuery for their 5.x releases, if it's of any interest
  • Options
    http://netquick.de/Willkommen/index.php?showtopic=19

drive your mouse over those image

hints are cool for additional "personal" informations or for ironic or sarcastic winks .

this mod was a ipb mod and i have no idea how to convert (because i'm not an advanced coder)

tell me if youre done (i'd like close the forum again)
  • Options
    Well now I know what you mean but i still dont get it :D
  • Options
    okay , you dont get the site? idea? or sense? :/
  • Options
    all 3 really. It doesnt help that it's all foreign :D what's the point of making someone mouseover to read something?
  • Options
    yes ..

well i know you never used it before, and you never felt the power of hints (lol), but a hint makes your online life brighter, and your skin looks much better!
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    those are just Tooltips. Whats so special about em.
  • Options
    let me open up the forum again .. one sec
  • Options
    now you can
  • Options
    edited October 2006
    ain't they just tooltips of images. hover over the image below
  • Options
    other than that it's based on this here

implementation:

http://ipbrasil.com/forum/test20/index.php?showtopic=44 (login: test , pw: test)

for the bbcode :

http://ipbrasil.com/forum/test20/index.php?showtopic=43
  • Options
    this is very easy to do with extensions. the userinfotooltip extension does that I don't see why it should be in vanilla core
This discussion has been closed.