Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

What on earth is the world coming to...

2»

Comments

• Options
    I've barely yet to live half of 33 years...
  • Options
    I'm happy to have been married more that 33 years ...
  • Options
    It is very scary, isn't it? Here are a few of the truly weird things about it:

.... Your self-perceived age is usually way younger than your chronological age (for me .... 25?). So who is that other person in the mirror?

.... You really have learned from your mistakes but it is probably too late to help ;-).

.... Your adult children are giving you that "this guy really has issues" look; you thought you could fool them forever. I'm still fooling my 11-year old, though.

.... You can remember caring about things like Pascal, CASE and expert systems but you're not sure why you did. And why did you and Bill Gates spend 90 minutes arguing over whether Basic (pre Visual Basic) could do 'everything' that any AI system could do? Guess who took which side? It's easy now to not care about whether PhP or Ruby/ROR is 'best'. Use either. Use both. Who cares. Go play golf.

.... When your grandson calls you Granddaddy, you think, "I must be high."

.... You remember how you looked at people who were 55 years old when you were 10 ... 20 ... 30 ... heck, 40. And you think, for the first time, you know I'm not really 25, am I?

.... No, you're not. In the eyes of your 92 year old father, you're still and ALWAYS .... 12. "But dad, I'm FIFTY-FIVE YEARS OLD." Endure the kindly look of condescension while you know he's thinking, "yeah, sure you are. Twelve."

Old age is not what it's cracked up to be. Then, again, neither is youth.
  • Options
    You know, I also remember listening to a guy named Bill Gates and meeting him at LaSalle University at a PACS computer user group meeting many years ago. That young fella did quite well.
  • Options
    My problem was I didn't grovel in his office at his feet for a job. This was 1987. Microsoft was already huge for a 'software' company (100M-plus as I recall). We knew that someday they would reach 250M - by 2000 maybe?

And he really did rock back-and-forth.

My sense of timing for software has always been great; my timing in real-life laughable.
  • Options
    Has anyone seen this site? It's a pleasant distraction to help us not fret too much about the gender thing.
  • Options
    @jimw .. that site is wicked cool. Odd, though, everything I did there looked like a gingerbread ..... man .... with .... a ....
  • Options
    Speaking of cool stuff, my wife and I went to a concert last night. Don't know if anyone has heard of "Death Cab for Cutie", but we saw them and they were excellent.
This discussion has been closed.