Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

can we make it an option to just stay logged in all the time?

edited July 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
like in forum options... that would be great

Comments

• lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2005
    Don't think that would be possible unless you dissable the use of sessions.
  • you could still use sessions, just use a cookie to store the information and your login options?
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    If you're running firefox tfsmag, you can do the following to perform this function. Go to tools > options Under Privacy expand cookies. hit the exceptions button and add lussumo.com (or your vanilla installation domain) to allow saving of that cookie. the next time you log in, check off the "remember me" dialogue, that should write out your cookie to always remember you upon login. This shouldn't destroy the way sessions work, but you'll be logged in nearly every time you visit.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    by default, firefox should flush all cookies you don't have exceptions set for when you close the browser. this ensures that firefox saves only the cookies you want to save.
  • cool, thanks... i'm just getting sick of having to log back in every time i come back after an hour or two and refresh the page...
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2005
    No problem. It's only acting upon how it's set up to work with some security in mind. Overall that's not so much of a bad thing but yeah I can see how it can quickly become annoying. For some reason, my server acts totally differently. It will keep the session alive for a good 12+ hours as long as I have the browser open. But I guess that's all dependant on how long your server is set to keep sessions alive for before flushing the session cache.
  • For me, using safari, it seems to save my sessions just fine, across a couple of days. I havne't logged in in a couple days.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    this differs from browser to browser
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Posting to update the timestamp.
  • MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I never have to sign in. My cookies always work for me. I don't know why so many other people have problems with cookies, but it's a very common thing for cookies to just "not work" sometimes.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    Mark, I think that by default, firefox for example, destroys all cookies for a site the moment you close the window or tab. I have mine set to not store any cookies and only hold them for the session as needed and kill them the moment the tab or window closes. I just set up exceptions for sites I want to keep cookies for. Mainly because cookies annoy the living fuck out of me to no end when they're wholey uneccessary (read: advertising).
  • i dunno.. i remember someone saying yay was disfunctional, but i never had to re-sign in there. which is why i was wondering why i have to keep re-signing in here.
  • lechlech Chicagoland
    because, mark does things right.
  • previous to vanilla being launched, i was logged in pretty much permanently, but now, if i even take a moment to sneeze, i get logged out.

my other cookies, tw, for example, are working perfectly.

odd.

safari on the second newest osx.
  • I'm only logged out if I sign in on my laptop and vise versa on desktop
  • well ya, the cookies won't persist from machine to machine... is that what you are saying?? i am drunk
  • i just get tired of re-logging in like once an hour is all :/
  • also, jonezy.... this is on one machine weirdo :|
  • edited July 2005
    lech, how do you know that shane @ skinnycorp isn't doing his sessions/cookies right? did you get to snoop his code? i'm no wiz @ php, but it's a fairly easy thing to do to make a login persist past an hour in asp or asp.net browsers shouldn't be an issue as cookies and session time limits are set by server side code. it almost seems as if it's being left to the default 20-25 minutes from my end. okay that post sounded harsh, but i feel like i'm taking crazy pills here.
  • i guess i should just download the latest version of vanilla and snoop the php code to see what is getting set as the session timeout
This discussion has been closed.