Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Private Messages 1.1

Comments

• You could get the global preferences extension and use that i think.
  • Didnt work, I installed that extension but saw no links to configure. By the way.. I dont know the Variable which must be set to "1" or "on". So the question still is, if somebody has more experience with that idea.
  • this seem to fine fine apart from the fact no one can whipser mid thread anymore
  • Does anyone have insights for making Private Messages work with Nuggets?

I have both installed and, when I click into the "Inbox" tab provided by Private Messages, none of the baked nuggets in any of the various nugget panels appear.

I have tried implementing MySchizoBuddy's fix Described here and messing with the order of extensions in the conf/extensions.php file, but neither tactic changes the problem.

I would love to use Private Messages because it seems cool, but Nuggets is more important to me. Is there a way to make them work together?
  • can we have both the whisper system and the pm system if we could that would be soo awesome
  • MySchizoBuddy whispered to me what I've done wrong, but I'll repeat it here just in case it helps any other wayward souls.

If you've added Private Messages AFTER you set up some site Nuggets, you'll have to go back into Nuggets admin and enable the "Inbox" page for each of those nuggets.

I suppose this would be true of installing an extension that adds Pages to the tabs. Go back into nuggets and make sure your nuggets are enable for the new tab.
  • edited December 2007
    helloes,

a periodic ajax refresh would be great and it would turn pm'ing into a realtime messenger feature (if enabled).
    periodic, to save bandwith

i've found some periodic-ajax-refresh tutorial with copy&paste-ready code examples here.
    i think this would be a great "interactive" feature for vanilla.

anyone ready to do this?
  • So... any word when these changes are going to be rolled into the official version? Or fork the development tree and upload it to the extensions?
  • edited February 2008
    btw was this mentioned before? ..

to turn the ugly h1 link into a panel item (send message text link) just replace ...

$Panel->AddString('<h1><a href="'.GetUrl($Configuration, 'extension.php', '', '', '', '', 'PostBackAction=PrivateMessages&View=SendMessage').'">'.$Context->GetDefinition('SendPrivateMessage').'</a></h1>');

with

$Panel->AddListItem($Title, $Context->GetDefinition('SendPrivateMessage'), GetUrl($Configuration, 'extension.php', '', '', '', '', 'PostBackAction=PrivateMessages&View=SendMessage'));

in PrivateMessages/default.php
  • Love the messaging system! My forum is in Japanese so I want to change on the tab where it says "Inbox" into Japanese. Since private messages is an add-on, you can not change the language in the conf/language.php right? How would I go about changing it in the add-on without mucking up the way it works?
  • it is probably towards the top of the default.php for PrivateMessages
  • What is towards the top?
  • could livediscussions be altered so that it updates the private messages pages as well as the discussion listing and comments?
  • Did anybody tested Private Messages from bschultz with the PageManagement Extension, cause at my forum it doesn't shows the number of new messages on the tab anymore, with this extension enabled.
  • Has anyone found that this thread breaks the vanilla extension manager (It may have been another change I made to get notify to work).
  • Hello, is there a way to notify users of a new pm while they are on the board? Like maybe a flashing "Private Messages" or Private Messages changes "Private Messages - New"? Thanks
  • Also one other thing, on our forum users cant delete their PM's how can users be alowed to delete PM's? Thanks again
  • i wondered about changing the css of the (1 New Message) alert so that users would be more likely to notice. i haven't tried this, though. deleting PMs should already work if you have installed all the updates in this thread.
  • edited April 2008
    Hey guys, new to this all so please bear with me... After some struggles, I got PrivateMessage3 working on my forum. However, I just realized a minor issue. When a user hits "delete" on one of their messages in their inbox, they receive the following error:

Fatal error: Using $this when not in object context in /home/juniore/public_html/forum/extensions/PrivateMessages/default.php on line 748

However, when the user goes back to the forum...voila! that message has been deleted. So it's doing it's job, but breaking as well. Can anyonr shed some light on a fix? Thanks in advance!

Nevermind... I see the fix right at the top of this page! Doh!
  • edited May 2008
    OH, one last thing I forgot to ask... When users create a new discussion, it pulls that discussion into their "Sent Mail" section of the Private Messages...? Seems to be that discussions and private messages are getting their paths crossed a bit here. A user can delete the unwanted, and not really sent mail, discussion from their "sent mail" PM section, and it remains in the discussion list, but this seems like an unwanted behavior.

Anyone have any insights to resovling this?

If I'd have read the beginning of the thread, I'd have seen the note about creating a separate category...which eliminates this issue.