Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Ignore/block?

edited October 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
I am trying to find an extension that allows one to "ignore" certain posters on a board. Does anyone know of an extension that offers this functionality? I am searching through the list but I can't seem to find one that does it. Note: I thought the Comment Protection extension would do it, but it seems to only block html? Or is there a way to use it so that when you click "block user" it will simply not display posts by that user at all (regardless of formatting)?

Comments

• PassingShot, you're not the only one who's been confused by this. I really do think that the block user/block comment wording should be changed. Almost everyone thinks it works differently the first time they see it. To answer your question, I don't think anyone's come up with an extension to do this yet, but there have been some pretty heated discussions regarding if it's not too rude to code anyway (just yanking your chain Wanderer ;) ).
  • Ahhh ok thanks. I am really trying to give users as many options as possible to control their experience in lieu of outright moderation of the forum, so I would love it if I could give people the option to block. What if I forced html formatting for posts, would the Comment Protection extension then block those posts if someone clicked "block user"?
  • All the "block" does is strip out the code, it should be called...
    strip code from this comment
    strip code from all comments by this user
    I know these are long which is why I made them tiny icons with tool-tips

Posted: Friday, 22 December 2006 at 11:28AM (AEDT)

• Think of those two links as more of a fine grained "Text-only mode". They do pretty much the same thing, just only to a single user or comment instead of the whole site.
  • Got it, thanks. *prays to the vanilla gods for an ignore extension*
  • Hey PassingShot, did you say something?
    Sorry mate, I couldn't resist it :-)

Posted: Friday, 22 December 2006 at 1:40PM (AEDT)

• Ooh it burns! :D
  • there have been some pretty heated discussions regarding if it's not too rude to code anyway
    ignoring users literally saved yayhooray
  • it would be helpful if i could have an ignore user add-on for my board too.
  • dan39dan39 New
    edited February 2007
    Could there be a "muffle" option that admins could use? That way, an admin could activate ignoring of a user for everyone.
  • ignore option right next to the username that adds a class to the post container for that user to be display: none; with an option to toggle it if your curious as to what it says. this could be a great function to be built into the friends extension, an enemy group?
  • i'd like to see the comment 'nested' (like an email in a gmail conversation); so you can see that it's there, but it's not expanded unless you deliberately click on it.

i think previous arguments about the morality of ignoring users is kinda irrelevant; people may well have good reason to ignore a user, or hide certain posts (e.g. non-work-safe words or images).
  • bump... any progress on an ignore/block user plugin? it would be handy for me!
  • I too would love some progress on this...I have forum members asking how to block people...
  • Is this people blocking habit a common thing on other forums?

How would a discussion flow or even make sense if great chunks of it were blocked out?

Posted: Friday, 9 March 2007 at 3:51PM (AEDT)

• Wanderer have u used http://digg.com all crappy comments get buried so i don't waste my time reading them. over digg u can set ur show and hide number. I have set mine so that i can see -4 and above. meaning even a couple of people think the comment is bad, it doesn't get buried, only if more than 5 ( it defaults to 1, so 5 negatives to get to -4) people think its bad then it gets buried.
  • Yes I'm very familiar with digg, Alex and Kevin are great mates (well Kevin is, Alex is... never mind) pic
    That's not really an ignore/block user though is it?
    It's more discussion based.

Posted: Friday, 9 March 2007 at 5:08PM (AEDT)

• edited March 2007
    We also have members asking for this blocking/ignore thingie. ;) So I would welcome a solution.
    Is this people blocking habit a common thing on other forums?
    Concerning Wanderers question. All big board software I know off, offer this kind of functionality. It's often a combined buddy-/ignore list feature.

I already made some thoughts on this, and think it would be best to modify an existing extension to get what we want. I think the CommentProtection extension would be perfect for this. We could use the "Block user" function from the extension. In this way we would have another link in the upper right corner of each posting stating "ignore" and "show".

When clicking the link, the "div #Comment_Body" display attribute is set to hidden. I also thought it might be good to assign a background image to "li #Comment_Body_?????" when clicking the link. The disabled-tile.gif would be sufficent. In this way, you would not see the disturbing users posting (while you still can see the headline of his posting where you can "show"/reactivate the users posting if you wish) and the discussion flow won't break.
    Same thing applies to the discussion within the grid. The extension should simply hide discussion created by the specific user from the grid or should at least assign a background image to this discussion.

This is how far I have thought.
  • *bump*

My users would love something along these lines as well. Anyone working on a solution?
  • So, to reiterate - all that you want is a way to show/hide each comment.
This discussion has been closed.