Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

vanilla blog

2»

Comments

• Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited July 2005
    If it's thorough and concise as vanilla is (and will continue to be) with all of these options, I don't see why you shouldn't at least try, man. What's the most you can really lose besides some time lost and another fine piece of software gained. Chalk another one up for the portfolio and grab that pay raise then get hired by google or some other big name doing what you love. You could even go the route of splitting vanilla off like some other comanies who develop similar software. Like redhat for example. It's free for personal use and exploration and so on. But some big names pay for support and for use on their commercial areas. What's to say you can't really do the same?
  • Options
    Yeah seriously. You could even do something like SixApart does which is _still_ give away the software for free for personal use. But then any sort of commercial use costs money.

That said, I'd be glad to pay $5 or $10 for good blog software/forum software. There are a couple CMS systems out there that cost $300 or more, which I would never consider because they cost that much.

If you think you can provide the support, go for it man. I think a lot of people here would support it (including me).
  • Options
    I have no money so I'd be stuck with the free version I have now :(
  • Options
    By the way, if you wrote a shopping cart that was worth a damn I would pay in excess of 400 bucks for that piece.
  • Options
    @omfg: I just posted my findings for good cart software that's actually standards-compliant: http://sumeetjain.com/standards-compliant-ecommerce. You might see something you like.
  • Options
    TradingShop looked really great but it's only for Coldfusion :[ and the first one had no info about their shop what so ever, just a link to get a one-on-one, if they have to try that hard to sell it to me it must be crap.

I am currently looking into purchasing Digishop... it looks pretty solid.
  • Options
    I've been working on one (a blog, that is) in my spare time. I call it Blister. http://www.subterrane.com/blister.shtml
  • Options
    @omfg: Yea, neither are perfect. Digishop looks pretty nice, but I wasn't impressed by the separation of content/presentation. I saw a lot of nested tables, too. CubeCart's latest version seems like it's pretty great.
  • Options

I don't know how I missed this thread. Because some of the comments here are exactly what I'm doing. I use Vanilla as the commenting system for articles. All you do is create a new discussion, and then link to it from the article. The code to do this and display the number of existing comments in the thread is trivial.

The only problem is, thus far I seem to be the only one doing any posting. Oh well, such as it is...

• Options
    @dwclifton: That's dandy, but I think I'd be more interested in a separate blogging functionality (ie. not tying in to the forum). ie. News posts over here, forum over there. Not just some syndicated forum posts on a 'news' page which link to a forum topic. Or maybe I'm completely off track... am I?
  • Options
    edited August 2005
    dwclifton - should there be a vanilla plugin for wordpress and movable type, or wordpress and movabletype plugins for vanilla, in your opinion?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited August 2005
    I'd love to make a lussumo blogging application. Seriously. I just don't have time right now.
  • Options
    FLCFLC New
    edited August 2005
    /me waits anxiously for Swell
  • Options
    I'll mention it again even though no one really cared (cry, whine, sniffle, bitch, complain). Ooh, I moved it, too so that could have something to do with it... Anyway, I started some blog software in my spare time. The code is ugly as all hell because I just hacked on it a little at a time, but it's a template driven blog that uses the filesystem and simple text files as the blog entries (this was inspired by Blosxom and made necessary by the fact that I dropped my Moveable Type tables when I was "cleaning up"). It also happens to have an atom feed (that validates!). You can look at it: http://www.subterrane.com/blister/blister.shtml The blog is: http://www.subterrane.com/blister/blister.shtml The atom feed is: http://www.subterrane.com/blister/blister.php?atomFeed Comments welcome.
  • Options
    subterrane, well, i'll looked at it. I'd like to take a more indepth look. But as I mentioned in another thread, I want to wrap my head around some AJAX, and then I want to see what I can do with it. I'd definitely wouldn't mind having some work already done for that :)

But in any case, I'll look at it more indepth once I have my hands elbow deep in AJAX.
  • Options
    Ah, AJAX. Not a lick of it in my hacky script. In fact, my script isn't even OO so it's stuck waaaaaaaaaaaaay back in like 1994. But hey, I read half of "Learn PHP in 10 minutes" so I have 5 minutes worth of training. :) Some of the concepts aren't bad though. I love using the file system, having templates that can use arbitrary values and simple text files as the blog entries. Mark would probably shoot milk out of his nose if he saw how lousy the script was but what the hell, it works for me!
  • Options
    nodnod. yeah, though I'm a big fan of using the database. but ideally it should be simple to change how the entries are stored

Yeah, i'd like to write an OO blog software, that's clean and as extensible as vanilla. But everyone needs to start somewhere.
This discussion has been closed.