Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Does someone have to respond to a whisper to show a private discussion?

lamentlament
edited August 2006 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Since someone just flicked the switch on whispers, I whispered something to Chris and I now have a Private Discussions link on the left under Discussion Filters.

however, when I click it.. there are no discussions.

so.. does someone have to respond to a whiper to show a private discussion?

Comments

• Options
    And... nothing has shown up for me not in the discussion list or in the Private Discussions, assuming that the Chris is me? :)

Did you send to "Chris Gwynne".
  • Options
    lament - if they had to respond, you'd lose it in the medium and go crazy. If you post a normal discussion and noone replies, is it still there? yes :)
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    @chris:

yes i did..

@mini:

it's not - that's my point. :) a whisper is a private discussion, or no?
  • Options
    can you see that one i just posted you?
  • Options
    Hmm, so why can't I see the one you sent me at all :S.

Bug?
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    ok i get it.. i was expecting to see my whispers that i've sent to people in threads in the "private discussion" link.. not just plain old private 1-on-1s.. got it. :)

and chris i whispered something to you in thread.. you don't see it?
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    Ooohh, you've done it in a post. I'd thought you'd created a whole new thread to create a whisper... gotcha ;)

So which one did you whisper in so I can go check... it really should show in Private Discussions I think, otherwise people are not going to know they have a whisper...
  • Options
    it really should show in Private Discussions I think, otherwise people are not going to know they have a whisper...

my thoughts exactly..

it was in the resizing Icon thread. :)
  • Options
    No, private discussions is for...private *discussions*... In thread whispers are highlighted by colouring - i guess maybe a search function could be useful though.
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    and to be honest, i feel like a complete and utter douchebag because i thought you could ONLY "whisper" to someone in the thread privately..

i didn't realize i could create a brand new private message to someone and carry on a conversation PM style..
  • Options
    edited July 2005
    yep found it :)

I need to start making notes for my own forum here. When there's a whisper in a thread, there's a class assigned to the comment box " WhisperTo" .. I'm going to edit it and add a certain background to identify it from others! Like omg, so genious!
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    chris in your created threads it should've shown that you have a new message.. did it not?

re: you didn't get the whisper..
  • Options
    It only shows that I have a whisper when a new thread is created especially whispered to me.

If there's a whisper to me in a normal thread there's no way I know of it, unless I personally see it, which isn't too obvious..
  • Options
    lamentlament
    edited July 2005
    also in the private discussions, it should show "1 new" when someone responds, but it doesn't.. bug?
  • Options
    @chris:

i don't mean new message, i mean it should've shown "1 new" when i whispered to you.. did it not?
  • Options
    i'll whisper into it now..
  • Options
    nope, still nothing...
  • Options
    wtf?

• Options
    In that sense they show up lament. But there's no way of telling that there's a new whisper in a thread because nothing tells you. Get me?

The only way I know the "testing..did it show 1 new?" is there is because of the screenshot you've just posted, so I went to check the thread again! Apart from that, I would have been in the dark about it.
  • Options
    hmm. thats not right. post a bug, i'm too lazy.
This discussion has been closed.