Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Issue Tracker? Anyone?

edited May 2007 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Ok.. I thought it would be simple... I need an Issue Tracker script, and I know there are tons out of there. But none of them do what I want. They are either too complicated and have too many features, or they just look too sucky to use. I just need a simple and clean issue tracker (like Arctic) which gets the job done, and delivers a nice interface (something a noob user can understand). It should be open-source, and php based. Anyone?

Comments

• Options
    in its simplest form, its a discussion thread. why not use that? :)
  • Options
    I was about to say why not use Arctic, it looks pretty cool. Then I noticed the free version only allows one project :/
  • Options
    KrakKrak New
    edited March 2007
    I found this, a small list made by someone in a similar search. http://usefulinc.com/edd/notes/IssueTrackers Stumbled into this as well http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_issue_tracking_systems
  • Options
    Hehe Krak, I found those as well :) Arctic is nice indeed, and 1 project is enough for the time being.. But it uses a compiled library, which I can't run at my hosting provider.

I could use a discussion thread, but I need to prioritize items, and assign people to it.

Ofcourse I could write an extension, but I was in for a quick fix :)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    I've thought about making an add-on / theme for vanilla that turns it into a bug tracking tool - because I know I'd use it here... but, of course, I haven't done it...
  • Options
    I've started on converting Vanilla to an Issue Tracker. Actually it's quite simple: Discussions -> Issues, Categories -> Projects. Ofcourse we need some extra status fields, views, etc. I'll keep you guys updated. I hope to accomplish it with only an extension file (which seems to be working so far) and leave the core intact.
  • Options
    sounds like the smart way to do it for sure Jazzman :)
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    SWEET
  • Options
    Ok, I'm progressing really fast here. Changing "discussions" to "issues" and "categories" to "projects" took most time :P Here are two sceenies how it will look like:

• Options
    i LOVE IT! I will so try to make my department use this for a project to test it out! Good job man! When can I run a test?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    Yeah - that looks great. I'd love to get this running here on lussumo and use it as a bug tracker for Vanilla (or any other project I get going - we could even possibly use it for add-ons). My biggest concern is going to be that I BET tons of the bugs that get reported will not be bugs at all. I reckon I'll have to create a new role with permissions to add bugs and let a select few create new bugs... maybe even import existing discussions from the community into the bug tracker. I'm rambling, aren't I?
  • Options
    No Mark, you're brainstorming!

*mutters under his breath about the crazy rambling fool.
  • Options
    Oh man, freaking awesome!
  • Options
    Wow this is looking wicked!
  • Options
    @Mark: Yea, definitively needs to limit the amount there somehow. I think that 4 roles is what would be optimal (in addition to no access); 1: project leader (admin) 2: project workers (members with moderation access? can "resolve" issues) 3: Beta testers (can submit bugs and feature requests) 4: the public (can read and comment on existing issues)
  • Options
    y2kbgy2kbg New
    edited March 2007
    whoa that would be sweet to have it here, it would show the power of how expandible and extensionable vanilla can be.

BTW,

Is this a theme/extension combo or a flat out hack?
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    A Manager's dream.... A better part of valor is to automagically que up a discussion for the Administrator's Action on Issue time consuming but very REAL for customer relations. Indispensable but definitely internal unless otherwise NOTED! Very nice...
  • Options
    It's written for the tabled theme, but you can use the default Vanilla theme and style it yourself.
  • Options
    so its an extension only? Thats awesome!!
  • Options
    "My biggest concern is going to be that I BET tons of the bugs that get reported will not be bugs at all. I reckon I'll have to create a new role with permissions to add bugs and let a select few create new bugs..." moderation? everyone could add bug but qualified few could accept these as bugs.
This discussion has been closed.