Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Add-on: Live refreshing discussion list

13»

Comments

• Options
    Great :) Will there be a way to change the rainbow effect's colors ? I guess it will look quite different from one style to another.
  • Options
    Interesting you should mention styles. One of the issues I'm having is that in order to make the updates as snappy as possible I'm trying to cut down on database queries. This means I only have the bare minimum information at my disposal. Also, the ajax script doesn't load Vanilla's API to ensure that the script itself is run incredibly fast. What this all means is that (for discussions at least) there's a bit of styling information missing. The missing information is mostly superfluous and discussions will display more or less how you would expect them to. Also, bearing in mind that it is only the updated discussions which are affected and that everything goes back to normal after a page refresh, I thought it was a suitable sacrifice.

So, styling might be an issue and different themes will (obviously) also be an issue. Still, I will be on-board with fixing and adjusting it to peoples' needs and will be happy to accept any patches.

As for the rainbow effect, I thought of having a main colour (probably some form of yellow or red) which the newest post would get. Any previously-updated posts would have their colour decreased gradually to white to show how 'new' they are (which is what Stash suggested). Page refreshing would obviously remove all this. Icons are possible too.

It will eventually have a multitude of display features that are configurable but for the moment I want to get a basic, working version out.

One way of 'fixing' the styling issues which are certain to arise would be to have the extension provide an update 'digest'. Like a separate panel that slides out of the right side that shows the amount of updates to date. It would be expandable to show more information and could be separately styled. It's less integrated but it solves the problem of trying to add stuff to a specifically configured and styled layout.
This discussion has been closed.