Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Open Sourcing our Add-Ons

Comments

• Options
    well, I'm little bit scared of anybody making changes in "my" add-ons.
    Everybody can whenever contact me with a patch or anything and if I don't agree adding it to the code, everybody can make another add-on based on my latest version. Though I don't know how does user system on Google Code work.
    Anyway I feel much better using my own subversion repositories than third-party's one.

So at the moment I use my own repositories which have also anonymous read-only access:
    svn://tomas.klapka.cz/var/svn-repos/vanilla/extensions/FixLanguageDefinitions/
    svn://tomas.klapka.cz/var/svn-repos/vanilla/extensions/ExtensionLanguageLoader/
    svn://tomas.klapka.cz/var/svn-repos/vanilla/languages/Cestina (not yet released complete czech dictionary definitions)

also I guess it is possible to use subversion externals to link subversion repositories so it is at least checkoutable/updatable

@MySchizoBuddy: svn implementations in IDEs are often buggy, I recommend using svn in a command line or to use TortoiseSVN (only on windows).
  • Options
    klip the idea to have all of them in one place. not hundred different ones.
    although your more than welcome to use your own svn
  • Options
    How to upload files to Google code using TortoiseSVN http://code.google.com/apis/gadgets/docs/tools.html
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    instead of /trunk use /extensions like below
    svn checkout https://vanilla-friends.googlecode.com/svn/extensions/ vanilla-friends --username myschizobuddy
  • Options
    dinoboof would u mind if i change the directory structure
    the current one is nonstandard, i cannot checkout trunks of extensions in one command i have to do that manually for each extension
  • Options
    I set it like that so that each extension is independent from each other, so that each extension has its own branches and tags.

What structure could we use?
  • Options
    default one
    /trunk/extensionName/
    /branches/extensionName/
    etc
  • Options
    maybe you can make a project containing "all extensions" by linking them to the same svn server but different repository folder by svn externals. This reminds me I wanna try it, but I'm too tired right now. 1:20AM here.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    @myschizobudy: ok. jQuery seems to do that.

Add the trunk, branches and tag folders and put your extensions there, I will put mine when I have some time for.

Leave the vendor and wiki folder, and leave the extension folder for now.

About the comments... Try to always add a comment to your commit. If it's about an extension, start the comment with "MyExtension: blah blah..."
  • Options
    i spend the whole day and all i could do was add a empty folder.
    svn on mac seem to suck really bad. i cannot understand how to use them.
    gonna fire up windows and hopefully i'll be able to put my extensions on google code
  • Options
    so finally I found some time and tried svn externals and it works just nice, though I haven't tested commit changes in code of fetched parts, but I think everybody can use direct repository if needs to do changes there, if externals is not working.

so I have different repository for each of my projects:
    svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla/extensions/FixLanguageDefinitions/ svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla/extensions/ExtensionLanguageLoader/ svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla/languages/Cestinaand I need one repository where is all of it and maybe also some other extensions not from me.

so I followed this article

I created empty repository svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla_resources/ with trunk in it (svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla_resources/trunk)
    then checkouted it somewhere:svn co svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla_resources/trunk ./vanilla_resources_from_klipthen I run svn propedit:
    svn propedit svn:externals ./vanilla_resources_from_klip
    Now it opened a system editor with empty file so I filled it by this content:
    languages/Cestina svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla/languages/Cestina/trunk extensions/FixLanguageDefinitions svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla/extensions/FixLanguageDefinitions/trunk extensions/ExtensionLanguageLoader svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla/extensions/ExtensionLanguageLoader/trunk
    Then you have to cd ./vanilla_resources_from_klip svn update and it should fetch/checkout all repositories you set as external. Now you only svn commit -m "Added externals for my czech language add-on 'Cestina', and extensions FixLanguageDefinitions and ExtensionLanguageLoader"
    and that's it. so if I want to fetch all my stuff now, I just do:
    svn co svn://tomas.klapka.cz/vanilla_resources/trunk ./vanilla_resources_from_klip
  • Options
    BTW, the "trunk/branches" scheme is not mandatory at all. SVN is just a directory tree. You can do it as it fit best your need.
  • Options
    yeah just that every one does it this way, the documentation on google code all assume trunk, that was my first stumble block, i kept looking for trunk but it wasn't there
  • Options
    apparently tortoiseSVN is able to detect the directory names. As I was committing the /tags directory it gave me a warning that I should first switch to the /branches or /trunk , and asked me to confirm that i want to commit the tags directory anyway. So apparently the names are sort of important
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It would have warm as well if you have tried to commit to /path/to/something/tag/something
  • Options
    TomTesterTomTester New
    edited December 2007
    Note: After some bad experiences with Tortoise (slowwww PC) I'm quite pleased with RapidSVN. Check it out and see if it works for you: http://www.rapidsvn.org/
  • Options
    Are all the add-ons for vanilla open source? Can they be used as part of a commercial site or product offering?
  • Options
    they are all GPL as far as I know. If you use it for commercial site and you amke changes to the code, you have to give the changes back to us.
  • Options
    Not exactly. You can do what ever you what want with them on your site, commercial or not. But if you are distributing a product using them, you have to use the same licence.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Also, you should ask the author how does he want to licence his add-on if he didn't state it. The ones in the Vanilla-friends repository are GPL v2; and if you put your add-on in it you should check everything is compatible with GPL. BSD-like licences are compatible.
This discussion has been closed.