Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

Mailing-list software?

edited December 2005 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Lussumo, What do you think about making a mailing-list manager or whatever? I'm looking for something as beautiful and amazing as Vanilla, but for starting a simple mailing list for my band. Does a thing exist? Does anyone else want something like this? Automatic subscribe/unsubscribe, web interface, etc. I would LOVE it if you made it! Love, Jona Portland, OR

Comments

• Options
    ezmlm-idx is the king of all list managers.
    Despite the name it requires quite some unix knowledge to get going, though.
  • Options
    I don't like that one. I aggree... there are FEW mailing list managers out there that are simple to use and set up.
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    edited September 2005
    I don't want to give anything away, but... would anyone like some lemonade?
  • Options
    Mark you sly-boots
  • Options
    GREAT!
  • Options
    *puts on donation boots*
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    So, that's why my skin has been crawling all week!
  • Options
    i've never had reason to use a mailing list before and they've always seemed a little pointless really. That said theres quite a high chance i'll need one in the near future. So this lemonade better taste damn good!
  • Options
    I'd say the best open source one ever is PHP-List (http://phplist.com), however... and this is a big however... it is VERY extensive. It is great in that it can do open tracking, click tracking, manage multiple lists and campaigns, but for somebody that is only doing one campaign for a small amount of users - it is a large beast. I've been working on one for a while now that uses pear, php, mysql, tinymce, and possibly some ajax but only where needed. I just need some time off work to actually complete it... Other than phplist, there isn't much out there worthwhile...
  • Options
    I'd love some lemonade!
    Is there going to be a feature for making all these nice "signup to recieve a beta-test email" things?
  • Options
    MarkMark Vanilla Staff
    yes.
  • Options
    So mark, should I start on the Lemonade wiki article page aswell?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Milk Milk! Lemonade around the corner chocolate's... hey wait a minute. No, I don't want to know where Vanilla fits in now... /me just grossed himself out a bit.
  • Options
    any ideas when lemonade is going to be ready?
  • Options
    Just a shameless plug here really, but my company has a list management product that is pretty inexpensive for what it does. You can get a free trial and see it here: http://sourcekit.com It does all kinds of cool things like full reporting (opens, clicks ect), helps you predict deliverability by giving you a spam report of your mail, allows you to interact with and organize your contacts in lots of different ways, and allows you to build a campaign in four different ways. We have plugins for interacting with other CRM systems like Sugar and SalesForce too. Plus we recently added a full featured survey builder that is very flexible and acts more like an information gathering tool than just a survey tool. I understand though that there are open source alternatives out there. I only mention it in case you need to use something right away and don't feel like messing with setting up your own system. Sometimes it is easier/faster to just use something already well established and all that. -Lee
  • Options
    3stripe3stripe ✭✭
    edited December 2005
    thanks for the plug leason... i need something that's free though ;-) ... we use a shared gmail account at the moment to allow several of us to send out bulk emails from wherever we are... so some kind of online tool is def. the way forward
  • Options
    How many contacts do you need to have in your database total?
  • Options
    Probs about 50 max I think
  • Options
    Hmm, I was hoping there was a similar solution out there with a big enough free "personal" edition, but I think they mostly max out at 20 contacts like ours. If I think of something I'll let you know. -Lee
  • Options
    If you find something for over 200 000 contacts I'd appreciate :D
This discussion has been closed.