Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

A Phone that actually rocks

2»

Comments

• Options
    Lech equals the truth *beep* When I think about phone, I usually think, communications like normal conversation and text messages, when I think calendar, ta-da list, and so on, I usually think, compiata muchimase. So those Blackberries really make sense, they are more like PDAs communications applications like call and sms.
  • Options
    I like you Kosmo, but I still dislike windows.
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    nathan, you can reformat those little buggers to run just about anything these days.
  • Options
    yay! I just got a lifedrive from PalmOne recently, so I am not going to be buyng on of those any time soon though. That thing would rock with Gentoo or Mandrake (Whcih has been re-named now to some thing that sounds crap. Can't think of it off the top of my head).
  • Options
    edited October 2005
    Some lightweight linux would be awesome on that, since it would free alot of it's resources to be used on the applications and not to run the frikkin OS like it's propably doing with Winnie right now. You could even run Blender and Filmgimp on that with fair ease. Oh, and Mandrake is now Mandriva because of the merger. I WANT MY MANDRAKE THE MAGICIAN BACK!!
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    edited October 2005
    nathan : http://projects.o-hand.com/matchbox/ & http://amd.store20.com/gentoo-matchbox/
  • Options
    I was at the university not so long ago with my friend, and there was this guy there who had a tablet pc with some sort of linux in there, don't know if it was his own hack or do they make software for linux to support the tablet thing, but he could do ANYTHING with that machine, he was logged to his own computer and his workshop computer through wi-fi at the campus cafeteria and was making all sorts of cool things with it. He made some mad coding and managed his own built ta-da/management software. Made me want to have one too. Just think about the possibilities! I asked the guy if he wanted a job :D
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    Kosmo, there's plenty of GDM's out there, and some of them are specially geared towards pocket devices or tablets. Honestly, all windows tablet edition really is, is just a modified off the shelf version of windows with a few extra's for a stylus or touchscreen inputs. I'm sure with the right modifications and drivers you could do the same on just about any system or OS. :D
  • Options
    Yeah I know, but what was amazing about it, was that he had modified the whole distro to work with the tablet pc so well, kinda like the iBook and Powerbook scroll things when you use two fingers, you know. I think it actually worked better than the normal tablet version of Winnie. I think alot of time went to the customization.
  • Options
    lech: that is so cool. while matchbox looks quite stable, gentoo looks a little buggy. There are a few too many things in the todo list for me to install it on my palm as yet. I will watch the project and intsall the first stable release WITH all the graphics support and such. Have you done it?
  • Options
    lechlech Chicagoland
    nathan, I had a friend help me from a stage 3 gentoo install, and it went through flawlessly the first time around. There was a minor gcc build bug, but we started it over this past week and I must say that once you have it set up, there's really nothing better. Currently I'm running gentoo with xfce4 as the gdm and it's a fairly vanilla setup give or take a few apps that I run on it. emerge -av <program> and it's done 99% of the time after you get past the peak of the install.
This discussion has been closed.