Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I'm Gonna be That Guy

edited May 2010 in Vanilla 1.0 Help
Hey folks.

Long time user of Vanilla 1. I can't go to another forum software…Vanilla is just awesome, so big props to the entire community. If I had any competence with programming outside of CSS, I'd love to help.

That aside, I'm going to risk asking a terribly annoying question, but I just need to. I'm on the cusp of setting up a new community with Vanilla, and my dilemma is whether to put the time/energy into installing/customizing/skinning a stable Vanilla 1 release, or waiting until Vanilla 2 is nice and stable. I'd love a recommendation from you all, being close to the project, on what you think is the better decision.

So judging on how the project is going, do you think a stable V2 release is close enough that I should wait? Will the update process from V1 to V2 be smooth enough that I could put energy into V1 that won't be entirely lost in an upgrade later?

Any sense of timing would be ace. Otherwise, keep it up, and I'll enjoy it when I get it.

Great work,
JT

Comments

• Maybe one of the first questions you could ask is, are there any addons for vanilla 1 that you need/want to use with your new forum that arn't available for vanilla 2.
  • Honestly, no, there aren't any addons I'd required right away for vanilla 2. The community can start very basic. I'd just want to be sure the basic structure will be stable.
  • From the end user perspective both Vanilla 1 and Vanilla 2 are similar in structure. There will be an upgrade path from Vanilla 1 to Vanilla 2 as well, so it *might* be safer to just go with 1 now and upgrade when 2 is released...
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    I've personally put 2-3 potential projects on hold because I'm waiting for Vanilla 2...it's definitely going to be a hit. Besides, there's nothing like a clean install with a brand new software to get things started on the right foot.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    @jtyler We're looking at a release of RC1 in the very very near future, and after that we will be releasing v2.0 when the RC1 bugs are all fixed. I know there is nothing concrete in there, date wise, but we're actually quite close now.

Hopefully this helps :)

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• It does help, thanks @Tim. Meanwhile.. that @ feature is pretty slick.

Looking forward to this guys!