Vanilla 1 is no longer supported or maintained. If you need a copy, you can get it here.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Guest Post

Comments

• It looks like this: Guest <strong>Guest:</strong><br /><br />Testing It's almost like "Guest Post" is not FORCING the HTML format. Or maybe it is and something else is interfering. See? Truthmaster
  • errr...stupid questions first: Do you have the HTML formatter installed? Are you familiar with accessing the database and if so can you check one of the comments in the database to see how it's been formatted? (there's a column in the comments table)
  • Oh, jesus.

Okay, I figured it out. For reasons only known to me, I created a new role for the "guest" account. In that new role, I did NOT check "HTML" allowed. Ticking that box again turned it all on.

Sorry for wasting your and my time. I deleted all of the noise in prior posts.
    :-)
    truthmaster
  • No probs - I hadn't even thought of that so at least it's a useful note for anyone having a similar issue in future... :)
  • Glad at least it might help someone else in the future. :-)

Truthmaster
  • Thank you Mini for your good work. And thank you too truthmaster for your tip! I was helped. By the way, how can I make the Captcha case insensitive?
  • My captcha images don't appear :( Is captcha distributed with this plugin? On unzipping, I have the following files - - ReadMe.txt - codes - default.php - randy.js - style.css
  • I believe there should be some images in the codes folder?
  • The problem was that the img src was http://extensions/GuestPost/codes/secret9.gif. The randy.js file wasn't getting the root path correctly. I didn't investigate further, but just hardcoded my url :) I suppose the issue is because my vanilla forum is installed in a subdomain http://forums.insanitybegins.com and not under something like http://insanitybegins.com/forums/
  • Hmm. The extension uses vanillas PathFinder function to work out the url to the images, so i guess if it's not doing it right there may be a bug in there somewhere. That's beyond my control though.
  • Hi Minisweeper,
    Is there any way to allow a guest to create an anonymous post in a set category?
  • Do you mean an anonymous discussion in a certain category, or only allow guests to post comments to discussions in certain categories?
  • Sorry I should have clarified! Just merely allowing an anonymous discussion to be started in a certain category, but anyone could respond. My goal is to limit the anonymous posting to really just 1 category if that makes sense.
  • Change line 37 from: if ($Context->Session->UserID <= 0) { to: if ($Context->Session->UserID <= 0 && $Context->Discussion->CategoryID == 1) { I havnt tested that but give it a shot and see if it works. I'm not sure if the discussion class is in there but we'll soon see. You'll need to change the '1' to whatever category you want too.
  • I must be totally missing on something here, but aren't the guest users able to create new discussions? I installed this extension and all I can do is comment on existing discussions. If not, could anyone suggest where to start modifying the script to achieve this?
  • No they cant create new discussions. If you look at the various discussions on here I've said in the past that it's way too much work for it to be worthwhile me making it happen since I dont even have a forum myself. I made the extension to cover popular demand but allowing guests to make new discussions is a whole other ball game. Unless you're pretty confident with PHP I wouldn't even bother trying...
  • Isn't the whole point of the guest role to NOT allow discussion starting?
    Surely if you want to start a discussion on a board, some sort of authentication is called for?
    Maybe this time it's me being paranoid about security?

Posted: Tuesday, 26 June 2007 at 7:29AM

• After looking here and there I managed to integrate Vanilla with my own site and enabled guest posting (creating new discussions and commenting existing ones) by creating a guest user who is automatically logged in if no other user is.
  • I assume you put some measures in place to prevent that guest user from making any changes to their account such as changing the password? What happens if a normal user wants to log in but they can't cause theyre already logged in as guest? Any chance of packing your code up and releasing it as an extension?
  • The thing is that I'm managing my users in my own application, so I just changed all the respective links in the theme to point to my own user managing UI. Then I deleted account.php and all links to it. I might try to turn this into an extension, but it involves creating a custom authenticator + theme + addon. Is there a simple way of doing the authenticator stuff as an addon?