Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Plugin Release] EMailSubscription

Comments

• Actually I meant deleting the whole folder and then uploading it and re-activating the plugin. Wouldn't this do the trick?
  • No, the database still has the data. You should try to manually delete from the database the entries in GDN_UserMeta that in column Name start with "Plugin.EMailSubscribe." (maybe "All").

delete from GDN_UserMeta where Name = "Plugin.EMailSubscribe.All"; to remove subscriptions to all content.

/cd
  • AdrianAdrian Wandering Spirit Montreal MVP
    Sorry I have been away... Great work :)
  • Two questions, I don't see the subscribe to all button but tonight I started a discussion and noticed it went out to all members. I spoofed a couple of members and see that their default email preferences are set to "subscribe to all". Is this the normal procedure for the plugin? Don't really want to spam all the members of the forum, I would rather they sign in and set their own notification preferences.

Second, I replied to my discussion and didn't receive any notification email like I received when I started the discussion. Is the plugin designed to send an email for discussion replies? (I hope it is). I have subscribed to all discussions checked in my preferences.

Thanks

Dan
  • @Dan Devine : 1) that is definitely not the default behavior. The button is in Dashboard->Forum Tab-> EMail Subscription. Maybe somebody else pushed it??

2) That's where Vanilla itself should start kicking in. What I do in the plugin is, beside sending a notification of a new post, also bookmark the discussion for all the users that want that. So, it's the same as if you clicked the star to bookmark the discussion. Regarding that, is the star lighted up (discussion is bookmarked) after first comment? It should be.

Otherwise, can't tell what's going on :)

/cd
  • Ok /cd,

That is the first time I have gone into that menu. Had not even noticed it so I don't know why everyone was set to default. I did have your other plugin running to email an announced discussion but I disabled it after I downloaded this plugin. Could anything have been "left over" from that plugin. I used the other one once.

Yes, the star is lighted "gold" on the first discussion and I am set to be sent an email for all discussions. I don't know why I didn't get one for the reply. I did get one (as well as everyone else) when I created the discussion. I will keep an eye on it.

Thanks!
  • thanks once more. It is very useful to me. It has the magic effect to bring inactive users to the main stage again.
    Maybe this is not the place for it but let me ask: HOW TO SEND A NOTE (THROUGH EMAIL) TO A SPECIFIC USER FROM PROFILE OR DASHBOARD?
  • I don't think that's possible. You might want to look into conversations, but if the other person does not have notifications enabled, you will still not gain anything.

/cd
  • As many agree, this is a GREAT plugin! I miss a feature though - in our forum some roles should not be able to see all forum categories. Still, users within this role can subscribe to the categories where do not have permission to see. They will receive emails with a link to the discussion, that produces a 'you don't have permission' message. So far, so good. But in the notification email those users also see the body text of that discussion, and the title, where they should not be able to see it.

Could it be possible to make this within EMailSubscribe: a user can only see and subscribe to the categories that they are assinged to within their role?

Thanks in advance for your answer!
  • Sorry, but I don't have time quite right now and I will be away for 2 weeks. To see if I get things straight, a user is allowed to subscribe only if he has view permission for that Category, right?

To everybody else, I will be away, but I will try to keep my inbox open and reply from time to time.

/cd
  • Yes, that is almost what I meant. A user should only be allowed to subscribe for the Categories that they have permission for, and the Categories that they haven't got permission for should not be visible on the list either.

Have a good time!
  • So, a clarification was required because for each category you have this sort of table:
    Add Announce Close Delete Edit Sink View Answers Questions

So, I was wondering which one of these would be more appropriate for the general case. If he has a permission to View, then he should be able to subscribe.

/cd
  • Yes, I think you're right. If a user has permission to view, he should be able to subscribe.
    By the way - thanks for your answers! It is great you're already thinking about a solution.
  • dear friends, I am using the latest version but still experiencing the same (old) issue. Everytime I post a new topic or reply some other I get dozens of "Mail Delivery Error" messages like this one:

This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
    recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

user_9@deleted.email
    The mail server could not deliver mail to user_9@deleted.email. The account or domain may not exist, they may be blacklisted, or missing the proper dns entries.
  • Where do you get these messages? And who is user_9? Can you also post the result of the following MySQL query:
    SELECT UserID, Email, Admin, Deleted FROM GDN_User WHERE Email = 'user_9@deleted.email';

This should help me find out what happened.

/cd
  • sure.

is this what you want?

SELECT UserID, Email, Admin, Deleted
    FROM GDN_User
    WHERE Email = 'user_9@deleted.email'
    LIMIT 0 , 30
  • also, my mailbox is being filled with duplicated messages. every notification comes twice. it means: first for informing about the topic and the second one to explicit the text posted.
  • yes, what is the result of that query. And the second one is a Vanilla bug. What version of Vanilla are you using?

/cd
  • result: "9";"user_9@deleted.email";"0";"1"
    note: i have 9 different users, all deleted /old users with the same beahavior

version: 2.0.9
  • For the double notification, upgrade vanilla or search the forums for the solution in the code.

The new version should not add deleted people to notifications but will keep sending notifications to people subscribed from the first version of the script. Try running this in your database:
    delete from GDN_UserMeta where UserID in (select UserID from GDN_User where Deleted = 1);

This should fix the problem. Let me know.

/cd