Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Problems upgrading from Vanilla 1.1.10 to 2.0.11

SubJunkSubJunk ✭✭
edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I've noticed some problems with the upgrading process and I'm not sure if the problems are unique to me or if they are just how it is.
Any comments would be helpful, and I might still have commit access to be able to change it, since I was a Vanilla 1 developer.
  1. Before the database import, users are able to register. After the import, registration is broken.
  2. Old users can no longer log in
  3. In the new installation, deleted comments are visible to everyone.
There were no errors during any step of the installation process, and it all works fine before the upgrade (on the fresh install of Vanilla 2.0.11) so I think it is probably a problem with the Vanilla export/import process and not my installation.

Comments

• Oo oo Mark pick me for a reply
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    edited October 2010
    Regarding 1) and 2), you might need to take a look at your Roles and Permissions. Make sure that your default user role has the Garden.Signin.Allow permission. Also make sure the registration is enabled and that the default new member role is correct.

3) Would need to be answered / addressed by @Todd or @Lincoln

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Hi Tim,
    Thanks for the reply.
    You're right about 1 and 2, that fixed it.
    An answer on 3 would be great since that is the last think that is preventing me from updating from 1 to 2, I think.
  • Bump
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    I have this discussion bookmarked for as soon as I can address it.
  • @Lincoln: I have the time to look through the script, but I don't know where the build script for the importer is. If I can have access to that I can fix it myself.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Absolutely, the source is here: http://github.com/lincolnwebs/VanillaPorter

The vanilla2export file is the builder, but you probably just want the Vanilla 1 class.

Send pull requests to the unstable branch (just like Garden).
  • @Lincoln: Thanks, I'll post back if I have success
  • @Lincoln: It seems that while Vanilla 1 soft-deletes comments, Vanilla 2 actually deletes them from the database.
    If it's by design then I think you can remove the DateDeleted column from the Comments table in Vanilla 2 since it seems redundant.
    Let me know if I'm misunderstanding, though.

Anyway the fix for the importer is to replace line 154 in class.vanilla1.php,

AND coalesce(c.WhisperUserID, 0) = 0", $Comment_Map);
    with:

AND coalesce(c.WhisperUserID, 0) = 0 AND coalesce(c.Deleted, 0) = 0", $Comment_Map);

I also added the updated export script to my blog here in case anyone wants to use the update before it is officially released.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    There may be plans to have a soft delete in the future, but you're correct that it does not currently. Thanks for the fix; I'll plan to get it in this weekend.
  • @Lincoln: Sounds good, and yeah soft-delete would be cool too. There can be an option in the Dashboard to enable it since there are different opinions on what is better.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Added to unstable branch for next version.