Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2: How can users change their own usernames?

edited October 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
We recently upgraded a fair sized community to Vanilla 2. I noticed today that only Administrators have the ability to change a users username. If the user goes to their account and clicks "Edit my Account" - the Username field is disabled.

I looked through Roles and Permissions, but found nothing that would allow a user to change just their username.

Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    You'd need to create a plugin to let them do that.
  • TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditUsernames'] = TRUE;

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Worked great. Thanks!

Also, Is there documentation of all $Configuration options available somewhere?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited October 2010
    $Configuration['Garden']['Profile']['EditUsernames'] = TRUE;
    Black magic! Witches!

(my bad)
    Worked great. Thanks!

Also, Is there documentation of all $Configuration options available somewhere?
    Slowly being built :s

• Is it being built somewhere public, so we can see how it goes and help contribute to it?
  • judgejjudgej
    edited November 2010
    Cool, thanks. The default email preferences are great, because a client wishes for them all to be turned on by default and I thought I would be having to write a module to set that up when they log in for the first time.

I'm often coming across pages like this, making a mental note, and then when I actually need the information, can never find my way back to it again. Is it just me, or is there something in the navigation missing?

Here's a good one missing from the list:

$Configuration['Garden']['PrivateCommunity'] = TRUE;

It ensures only logged-in users have access to any part of a Vanilla installation, which is great for "extranet" type applications where you have a closed user group with nothing that should be accessible to the public.
    We're sort of trying new things and seeing how they work, and if they don't work, trying other things instead. I personally am not a big fan of the current Wiki style documentation, especially the confusing navigation and massive gaps. I'm not sure what alternatives are out there though.

• So we got the following problem. You can log in to our Vanilla forum using FB and using this line of code mentioned above users are now allowed to change their username to something different than their FB name. That's great. The problem is that once they log out and log in again, they have their FB name again as if they never changed it on the forum. Any ideas?

I know it must be possible because it is possible on this forum which is also a Vanilla Forum. :) Thanks

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

@Lievens said:
    So we got the following problem. You can log in to our Vanilla forum using FB and using this line of code mentioned above users are now allowed to change their username to something different than their FB name. That's great. The problem is that once they log out and log in again, they have their FB name again as if they never changed it on the forum. Any ideas?

I know it must be possible because it is possible on this forum which is also a Vanilla Forum. :) Thanks

And what solution would you propose? It isn't like it is easy to go and change your Facebook name, it has all sorts of restrictions on changes. You should advise your users to change their names on Facebook if they want to change their names using a login that uses Facebook.

• I can do it on this Vanilla forum, why shouldn't I be able to do it on mine? When I logged in to this Vanilla forum I was offered the possibility to log in with FB but still choose a different username.

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited January 2015

@Lievens said:
    I can do it on this Vanilla forum, why shouldn't I be able to do it on mine?

Because you didn't pay the subscription fee to use the pay version of vanilla.

• Aah good point :)

• The version of Vanilla used on this forum is not the same Vanilla 2.1.7 but a more advanced one.