Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

[Solved] How to add an user to the vanilla user table in db using external code?

edited November 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
i have these scenario --

using vanilla v2.0.9

1) I have a site with its own membership system with its own registration and management

2) I have installed vanilla into another database (I can't merge both db into one)

3) I want to be able to add an user to vanilla user table as soon as an user registers to my site

I can add the user info at the vanilla table + add a default role. What i can't do is set password with proper encryption.

Is there any function that can take the password string and return me the proper encrypted password valid for vanilla?

or is there any user manager manager class that can accept parameters like username, email, password, etc. and create the user for me?

Please help!

Thanks,
Anjan

Comments

• 20 Views and not a single reply :D

The topic is really hard it seems.

Can anybody please just point me out 2 things?

1) Exactly in which file the password is being encrypted
    2) In which file the user cookie is being created

Thats all i need to know to make a patch up bridge between my sites users and vanilla :)

Thanks again!
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2010
    So you have two issues: adding a user, and logging in a user.

To add a user, you can use the V2 framework (fire it up via a remote call and then call its internal classes) or write your own code snippet that inserts a user record. I conjecture the latter would be simpler, but I haven't done it yet myself. Vanilla 2 uses PHPass via /library/core/class.passwordhash.php to encrypt the password. Similarly you can find the cookie "stuff" in library/core/class.cookieidentity.php.

To log in a user, I'd look at the Proxyconnect plugin.

Hopefully that's enough to get you started.
  • Hi Lincoln!

Thanks for the answer :)

While i checked it seems like vanilla session is stored solely in cookies, 2 cookies it seems "vanilla" and "vanilla-volatile" i think

So, when my users sign in via sites login, i can create those 2 cookies and if they are valid, that should login the users to vanilla without problem, isn't it?

Thanks,
    Anjan
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @anjan011 Yes, that should be all you need to do (but mind the capitalization of the cookie names).
  • @Linkcoln

Thanks! I finally settled for 2 functions -

1) Gdn_PasswordAuthenticator::Authenticate($email,$password);
    2) UserModel::InsertForBasic($user_data);

The first one sets the cookie for me :) given the email and password is correct

The second one actually accepts values from $_POST, so i mimicked a post using that function and it handled insert for me :) except password is stored in md5 hash instead of phphash.

I think any one trying to integrate vanilla with existing site, can make use of such methods and i m sure many does so :)

Thanks for your help! Really appreciate that! Have a nice day :)

Anjan
  • Anjan can you tell me how you did it ?
    I want to do the same thing ;)
  • ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    I highly recommend you look at jsConnect.
  • Was anyone able to Generate the cookies Vanilla-Volatile and Vanilla?
    I was thinking I could query the Vanilla database and get the right values then just set the cookies.
  • jsConnect keeps failing in embedded mode, so I think I'll try a similar approach and attempt to generate the Vanilla cookies once my user validates through my existing security.