Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

My forum seemed to run too slow.. any help or suggestion please

edited November 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I am a new user in Vanilla forum and I started pics and clips media website, www.hahasomuch.com/Vanilla/ Weirdly my forums run extremely slow, sometimes it gets totally fine, but it happens again and again. Could anyone help me what I am doing wrong..?

Comments

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    The list of things that could possibly make a website run slowly intermittently is a mile long and you've told us almost nothing about the issue (your setup / platform / host, any changes you've made, anything else happening on the server, etc) that could even hint at the cause. If you're serious about figuring this out, I'd buckle in for a long diagnosis and start digging for as many details as you can find.
  • Options
    Sorry, I am kinda newbie in computer area,, I am using godaddy, and I have many plugins
    Analytics, adsense, fileattachment, jixbar, Gravatar
    HtmLawed
    HTMLPurifier
    ImageResizer
    Magic
    Minify
    Following
    Signatures
    Sitemaps
    Tagging
    Twitter Feeds
    CLEditor jQuery WYSIWYG
    Voting

I am using default for my theme... I have no idea, why sometimes forum runs fast and sometimes runs extremly slow.. I have not made changes, but I have uploaded many posts.. everyday I upload about 10-15 posts..
    Is it because I am using macbook.. or posting media stuff..?
  • Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Your problem is probably that GoDaddy hosting is awful.
  • Options
    I have tested hosting server with "readme.html" and it was really fast.. so i guess its my forum's problem.. isn't it??
  • Options
    Switch on the debugger plugin and see how long your SQL's are taking.

The db server is more than likely the problem and it's performance isn't going to be tested by serving html files.

• Options
    It says, 8 queries in 0.098322629928589s
    if its dbserver problem, is there anyway to fix it?
  • Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    That is not a db server problem. Something else.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    Just looking at your site I think it might be the Minify plugin causing the problem.

Try disabling it.
  • Options
    what is queries? I have 18 queries or something.. it keeps changing
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    just disabled it now still slow...
    8 queries in 0.27054786682129s
    UserModel->GetSession('1')0.005593s

select u.*
    from GDN_User u
    where u.UserID = '1';

UserModel->GetSession('1')0.218054s

set names 'utf8';

CategoryModel->GetFull()0.030012s
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong with the db performance, it must be something else.

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @Sephj An html file is simply displayed by the server; it requires almost zero resources to do. Processing PHP scripts actually requires the server to work.

There's almost nothing you can troubleshoot about GoDaddy hosting. It's barrel-bottom cheap hosting and you get what you pay for. The likelihood is so overwhelming that it's bad hosting that it seems like a waste to try finding a possible problem in your config.