Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to Move a Vanilla Forum for a Local Dev Site to a Staging or Production Site?

edited December 2010 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I installed Vanilla locally on my laptop and then copied the files and the database up to my hosted server only to find that it didn't work. I spent over an hour trying to find what I needed to fixup to get it to work on my server only to give up and reinstall on the server.

I would still like to be able to bring it down locally so that I could develop addons but I'm not sure what files I would need to change to make it happen. It seems that conf/config.php and the .ini file in /cache need to change but I changed them and they were not enough. What else needs to change?

Also, does Vanilla overwrite conf/config.php? I made changes there to sniff out the host and use different database credentials but I swear they disappeared so I assume that Vanilla recreates that file; if so how can I set up the source code to use different credentials depending on where it is served from?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• I am assuming that your file paths have changed?

if so you have to do a full find and replace... with the new path...

same thing happened to me when i moved my development site from d:\ to e:\ drive...
  • I had the same problem here....
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/14054/vanilla-working-on-local-but-not-global.-why
    I didnt tried the the config.php file though. I just cant figure out the solution. Can anyone help? Thanks in advance.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    You have to delete the ini files in the cache folder.
  • sprockett said:
    I am assuming that your file paths have changed?

if so you have to do a full find and replace... with the new path...

same thing happened to me when i moved my development site from d:\ to e:\ drive...

ok, a file replace where?

• ToddTodd Chief Product Officer Vanilla Staff
    edited December 2011

@troppman, that's not good advice and is really old.

You just need to delete all of the /cache/*.ini files.