Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Custom authentication system

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi guys, I have my own site running and I'd like to add a forum to it. I finally decided to use Vanilla
However, I have my own authentication system for my site, and I don't want the users to register again at the forums.
My question is, can I make it so that people can log-in using the users from my database and not from GDN_Users?
I suppose not, but, can I do something so that users do not have to register at the forums? (I don't want them to be guests either)
Maybe copy all my users to GDN_Users and make it so that when someone registers at the website I also add the user to Vanilla users table. However, I can't do the first part because of the encryption method of Vanilla. I'm using MD5 and Vanilla is using a custom one.

What can I do?

Comments

• Hello nov1kk, any idea as of now? I'm using a similar type of authentication system (developed myself in CodeIgniter) that uses MD5, and I already have a considerable user base. Wondering how to integrate with Vanilla. I'm not using CLAuth, FreakAuth or DxAuth. So, I'm not really sure how I would integrate my existing login system into Vanilla
  • Try the ProxyConnect plugin.

You use your own CMS for user registration and logging in and out. Your CMS provides a page that identifies the user currently logged in, and that is just about it. When a user first goes to a Vanilla page, if they do not already exist in Vanilla, then ProxyConnect will create them and log them in.
  • In my project i'll try to use the same users table for site and forum... by setting in site needed cookies
  • Personally I would avoid mixing user details and session IDs in a single table. As well as (often) there not being a strict one-to-one relationship between the two, if there is one table that I have found gets corrupted over the years, it is so often the sessions table.

YMMV, naturally.
  • Did you ever solve this? Would love to integrate with my sites existing authentication system without needing jsConnect/ProxyConnect (they don't work on my site).

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭
    edited June 2013

@jaredNZ said:
    Did you ever solve this? Would love to integrate with my sites existing authentication system without needing jsConnect/ProxyConnect (they don't work on my site).

You could set up your own OpenID System :P and then use the OpenID ( or modify one of the current handlers like the google sign in) plugin

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• hgtonighthgtonight ∞ · New Moderator

@jaredNZ You are going to have to a) use a plugin in Vanilla like ProxyConnect or b) Update your custom user registration script to create a Vanilla user or c) Write some bridge software that keeps things in sync between the two.

All of these will require some development on your part.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• I did everything @Tama...The proxy/jsConnect is horribly over complicated IMHO. I was about 14 hours tracing through the proxy connect login system yesterday. And its still only intermittently-automatically adding users to Vanilla. I manually added users to the database in PHP but it didn't log them in when they arrived.

Going to start a new thread with a bounty to solve the issue.

• TamaTama United Kingdom ✭✭✭

@jaredNZ said:
    I did everything Tama...The proxy/jsConnect is horribly over complicated IMHO. I was about 14 hours tracing through the proxy connect login system yesterday. And its still only intermittently-automatically adding users to Vanilla. I manually added users to the database in PHP but it didn't log them in when they arrived.

Going to start a new thread with a bounty to solve the issue.

Take a look at http://findingscience.com/mod_auth_openid/

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• No offense but thats a ridiculous suggestion @Tama. Its a forum, there's no need to design your own OpenID system. I have full access to mod the PHP and set cookies. It should be a 50 line PHP script calling existing functions inside Vanilla that overrides the plugin architecture.

e.g.
    UserModel user = new UserModel(array);
    DB->insert(user);
    GDN->Authenticator->SetLoggedIn();

All the code is already written. Check out /applications/dashboard/models/class.usermodel.php.

Search first

Check out the Documentation! We are always looking for new content and pull requests.

Click on insightful, awesome, and funny reactions to thank community volunteers for their valuable posts.

• Fact is its not as simple as that @hgtonight, I've already tried using the vanilla internal models. And if it was that simple you'd post the actual code instead of a link to a file I've clearly already found -- look at the example code I posted...

I wasn't trying to imply anything.

You want someone to recreate functionality that already exists in garden/vanilla.

Search first