Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Hate to say it but i am thinking about jumping ship to vbulletin - stop me

2»

Comments

• @LincolLn
    Can you provide a link as soon as you find it pretty stable.
    As I am searching for pretty stable editor.

Btw, have you seen this version - http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/ask ?
    I really want this editor, it is small clear, with instant preview.
    And I love their approach to tags more (no bugs as in our plugin).
    And three sorting options (I already made changes to Voting plugin).

Yeah, Vanilla gets many ideas from StackExchange.
  • Great work Lincoln!

I have big problem with CLeditor..
  • This is link to source that StackOverflow uses after some pretty changes, of course.
    http://code.google.com/p/wmd-new/source/checkout
    Their code on site is minified and obfuscated.

And markdown works with Vanilla without plugins, just one line in config.

Also like their slick editor sizing ability.
  • ShadowdareShadowdare r_j MVP
    edited February 2011
    Interesting.

Add Pages to Vanilla with the Basic Pages app

• I'm not very happy with the upgrade from 1 to 2. At this point I may have to make my current vanilla1 board read only and start with a fresh vanilla 2 install, else move to another script. Inline images/attachments didn't move over - no transmogrifier so all previous censored cursewords are now visible - I don't see any whispers converted in some accounts - cleditor buggy and that's just a quick overview. I was also looking into ip.board - you can view a comparison of vbulletin - ip and vanilla here:
    http://www.forum-software.org/forum-comparator/ipboard-vs-vanilla-vs-vbulletin4

I'm a big fan/supporter of vanilla, but until a few things get addressed - not sure what to do.
  • They will.
    As for IPBoard it is different beast.
    Completely.
    I suggest you to look at XenForo if you need this type of forums, as their development pace is much faster and community interaction is better.
  • @jross, I see you've mentioned a few issues:
    • Inline images/attachments didn't move over
    • no transmogrifier so all previous censored cursewords are now visible
    • I don't see any whispers converted in some accounts
    Maybe the inline images problem can be solved quickly. I didn't see a forum thread about it, so I didn't know you had this problem

The transmogrifier (difficult word!) problem, you have a forum thread about that running, correct?

What are whispers? Are those private messages? Do you have a forum thread about that going?

The cursewords problem... I don't know how it should work, but maybe the transmogrifier obfuscates cursewords "on the fly". Let's look at that in your separate thread :-)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• @Horton thank you for opening this thread. It's better to have open discomfort than being unconfortable and leaving silently. I see that you've been persuaded to stay with vanilla for now. Now it's up to Vanilla to keep you here.
    Whatever you decide, please keep telling us what's wrong, so we might fix it.
    If we don't fix it (or soon enough), you have a reason to leave.

• Let's address some of these problems you're having:
    There really is not a clear support model. Maybe that changed with V2
    Working on it. vanillaforums.org not a business, although vanillaforums.com is a business as far as I know :-) The forums have their own support structure, meaning we're helping each other. I tried to step up as much as possible where I can and I see that other step up more often too :-)
    I love what I have seen in V2 but every time I install I find bugs and Bonks. I want V2 but I need to know it is going to work.
    We're working on the bonks too. I think there are less bonks though since ... say... early 2011 and I hope there will be less bonks with every release of Vanilla :-)
    In late December I installed vanilla 2 a number of times. I migrated data from my production vanilla one site and I set up some new instances. In all cases I found a few bonks but more to the point I found functionality and performance to be lacking.
    Every time you see functionality lacking, just mention it in the forums, or better yet... make a report on GitHub and then mention that report on the forums :-)
    GitHub is the place where the bugs and feature requests are administrated, we're talking about the bugs and feature requests on the forums.
    Mark and his guys are working really hard to make new exciting things for vanilla, but we have to give them some time to catch up :-)
    I also suspect that I would have to learn PHP to make the basic template changes that I need. I think if you're a programmer and this is your hobby you take those kinds of things for granted.
    Actually, the templating system that Vanilla uses (the reason I decided to help more) makes sure you don't need to learn PHP.

The fact that you can mix PHP with HTML and that it's used in Vanilla is an example of how to use it, but some of the users have made effors to make sure that templates only contain HTML and some special Smarty Tags, no PHP.
    I was thinking about commercial versions of software so I could make a phone call to support person and get help. That is really the one thing that I don't like about vanilla. Open source depends on the communities. That's great unless I need the right answer & I needed quickly.
    As I see if you have a problem with vanilla you want to drop the problem with a support person and let him fix it, because you pay money for the support contract.

That can be a solution, but what if you can post the problem on the forum (a problem that other users might have too) and after a few extra questions and screenshots, the problem gets resolved, the documentation gets updated and more than 1 user gets helped? Doesn't that count for something?
    I'll do an install this weekend and migrate my current form over to look at it. Nothing would make me happier than to find that I'm wrong and I can stay here and get what I need.
    Just post your problems here and we'll find a way to fix them.

• edited February 2011
    This is link to source that StackOverflow uses after some pretty changes, of course.
    http://code.google.com/p/wmd-new/source/checkout
    Their code on site is minified and obfuscated.

And markdown works with Vanilla without plugins, just one line in config.

Also like their slick editor sizing ability.
    Looks nice to have that one at my forum.

Can you tell me the line i need to place in the config file ?
  • HortonHorton New
    edited February 2011
    @Underdog

You certainly put in a lot of time replying to my issues. I very much appreciate that. I spent the last three days poking around with vanilla 2. I feel pretty good about my current installation. Getting rid of CLEditor resolved most of my problems.

In terms of support, I'm not made out of money but my website generates enough income that I would rather occasionally pay someone to get me out of trouble then fight with it myself. I work in IT but I do not really program. My knowledge of HTML is rudimentary. You stated above that I can purchase support from vanilla. The listed pricing under “support and maintenance” looks to be extravagant for me. (Mark, if you read this, I hope you make millions of dollars - I just can't afford to contribute very much)

I do not see any bonks in my current install. I also find the performance to be excellent. That is very encouraging.

I have posted a few things on GritHub. I think that is a very smart development environment.

As far as the templates go, maybe it is easier than I think. I'm afraid it's going to require more skills that I have and or would consume far too many hours to come up to speed. Web design is not my hobby. Maybe next weekend I'll block out a day to see if I get my head around it.

Using the currently available embed theme, I find the tabs "Activity", "Inbox" and "Username" to be confusing and unintuitive. I understand the idea of “Activity” is to be a Facebook like social something. I don't like it and I think it will confuse my users. I think if I could remove "Activity" I would be much happier with that portion of the product.

Additionally when somebody answers a user's question, the user gets the little red flag. That flag does not seem to clear until the user goes into “Notifications” and clicks on that discussion reminder. The fact that the red flag does not clear if the user goes straight to the thread from the discussions menu is goofy. This may seem like a small detail but my business model depends on making my website as easy to use as possible. If I confuse my users, I will lose some of them.

The theme on this vanillaforums.org (this page) forum largely solves this concern because it does not add the red flags to my “username” menu and “Activities” is not a primary menu choice. Perhaps my solution is about the theme not about the garden design.

There are a lot of things about vanilla2 to that I like.