Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

'Install Vanilla' page pops up unexpectedly. Borked config file & database.

abrownabrown New
edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
User sent me this message:

"I am having some trouble with the discussion board. Instead of the
regular login screen, there is a screen that is titled "Vanilla Version 2
Installer", which is asking for database and admin information. I'm not
sure if it is just my computer, so I thought I should let you know!"

Why would a successfully installed set-up suddenly revert to the install page with no intervention on my part.

edit: It seems as if my config file has been hacked/corrupted and it is using config-default. How could this happen?

edit: Using 2.0.17.8
Tagged:

Comments

• lucluc ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    A bug apparently, I'm not sure if it was tracked down.
    They are a few discussions about this here, do a search to find out.
  • abrownabrown New
    edited April 2011
    Okay, so they haven't fixed it but why not give someone a heads up to backup the config folder. I know you're supposed to keep a back up by for heaven's sakes this is the first I've heard of the bug. A heads up would have been appreciated.
  • edited April 2011
    Same thing is happening to me when upgrading from 2.0.16 to 2.0.17.9

Posting a new discussion works. However, the "Version 2 Installer" pops up when trying to Comment, Close, Reopen, Unannounce, etc. on a topic. Would greatly appreciate any help on this.
  • abrownabrown New
    edited April 2011
    Getting this error on line 229 when I try to re-install:

225:

226: if (!is_object($PDOStatement)) {

227: trigger_error(ErrorMessage('PDO Statement failed to prepare', $this->ClassName, 'Query', $this->GetPDOErrorMessage($this->Connection()->errorInfo())), E_USER_ERROR);

228: } else if ($PDOStatement->execute($InputParameters) === FALSE) {

229: trigger_error(ErrorMessage($this->GetPDOErrorMessage($PDOStatement->errorInfo()), $this->ClassName, 'Query', $Sql), E_USER_ERROR);

230: }

231: } else {

232: $PDOStatement = $this->Connection()->query($Sql);

233: }

• first : try to find out the actual query that's executed. It might be on the bonk page and otherwise echo the $Sql variable.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• You might as well ask me to find the Higgs Boson. Would you dummy that down for me a bit. Thanks.
  • The error message is generated on line 229
    Line 229 says that an input parameter is missing from the PDO Statement, the query that's sent to the database.
    You need to find out what is the contents of the $Sql variable.
    Let's put it this way. You pasted these lines of code. I will assume they come from the error page.
    There is way more information on that error page, including the SQL statement.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Restoring your old config would likely fix it if that's possible for you to do. I'm not sure whether it's a bug or something that happened on your server.
  • edited April 2011
    Restoring your old config would likely fix it if that's possible for you to do. I'm not sure whether it's a bug or something that happened on your server.
    I have confirmed that this does not help. I did not have any problems upgrading from 2.0.16 to 2.0.17.9 via command-line. However, immediately after upgrading, the "Vanilla 2 Installer" box appears on-screen when trying to add a comment, close a discussion, reopen a discussion, etc.

Posting a New Discussion--however--works as expected.
    first : try to find out the actual query that's executed. It might be on the bonk page and otherwise echo the $Sql variable.
    I am not receiving any errors when trying to post a comment. The problem is that the Installer window appears when trying to comment on a thread (as if there is no config file present when in reality it's still there)...
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Can you view the new discussions too?
  • Can you view the new discussions too?
    Yes... I can login, logout, edit my profile, start new discussions... But when trying to comment on a thread or close a topic (etc.), the "Vanilla 2 Installer" window appears on screen. Very strange.

• Okay, I've got it working. I spoke to a couple more users and my experience is the same as Auburngate, someone typing and boom, install page. I not only had to retrieve the config file from backup but also the database from before it go corrupted. So the lesson here is backup both your database and config file. The other thing to say is this was not a result of user error nor was it a server problem. This is a bug in vanilla so be warned.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    If you don't change configs every 2 hours, set the file as read-only and you should be fine.
  • Okay, more weirdness. The board is up but now it won't work unless there is config-defaults.php and config.php in the conf folder. Any thoughts?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited April 2011
    What's wrong with that?
    That's the way it should be, I think.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @abrown That's the expected behavior.
  • Oh, did not know that. Thanks.