Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to make Vanilla more like a forum, less like a FAQ?

edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
I was wondering if there is any way to make Vanilla more like a....forum. A forum is a place with categories and subcategories. You select a category/subcategory and you see all posts inside.

Vanilla looks more like a FAQ or a troubleshooter. You open, start a new thread, add tags and voila. But what if the question was already answered? What if every category has a specific pinned topic?

The main idea is that we're free support for iStuff, and usually people tend do ask the same 20-30 questions from the same areas. I wanted to use Vanilla, but we can't just have a list of 30 pinned messages... Nobody will scroll down so much, they will just start a new topic, as the important thing might be somewhere at the end of the page.

So...how can I make this more like a forum, less like a FAQ?

Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Dashboard -> Appearance -> Homepage

Change to: categories/all
  • RaizeRaize vancouver ✭✭
    Like Lincoln said, it's pretty easy to change that.. it's a recent addition so consider yourself lucky :p

Just as an aside, I run a very busy Vanilla 2 forum and I've noticed that there is a lot more activity with the "faq-like view" than with the "classic-categories" view. I tested both, and was pleasantly surprised with the results.. just some food for thought
  • I agree with Raize, but what about opening the same discussion over and over?
  • edited June 2012

@Ravza; are you wanting something like what StackExchange / StackOverflow do, in that as you add your question, it suggests a bunch of existing threads to read?

Let's be real; that would be insanely awesome.

Okay; reality check time -- what are the chances of this happening?

• @foho; that's not a vanilla site, is it!?

• DanielSchulzJackson said:
    @foho; that's not a vanilla site, is it!?

Reported foho's post as spam

There was an error rendering this rich post.