Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Admin getting "Bonk" error message. Everyone else is okay

edited April 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I've just discovered VanillaForums and I love it! Finally a modern discussion forum!
Two days after I installed Vanilla I cannot access the front end at all. I am just getting the Vanilla error message:
"Bonk
Something funky happened. Please bear with us while we iron out the kinks."

Everyone else but me(admin) can use the front end. I am able to reach the backend if I browse to /index.php?p=/dashboard/settings but I cannot reach only /index.php

Could someone please tell me how I can fix this. I have no idea what happened
Tagged:

Comments

• Maybe as simple as clearing your browser cookies?
  • Unfortunately not. I've tried to reset my browser without no success.

I've tried to log in from a computer which has never tried to reach the domain where I my forums are located. From this new computer which has never tried to reach my forums, I can see the forums fine from a guest perspective. But as soon as I log in with my admin account I get the same error message as I described above...

I would appreciate any help as this is highly disturbing
  • Well, if you can get to the Dashboard, have a look at the Admin privileges under Roles & Permissions. Maybe you inadvertently turned off the ability to view? Wouldn't usually give you a "bonk", but... Just a shot in the dark, sorry if not helpful.
  • No, that is not the issue. Thanks for the suggestion though, unfortunately I haven't changed any permissions. From my point of view, this just appeared "out of the blue". I can't come up with something I did prior to this that could've caused it.

I fiddled with my forums the other night, when I went to visit the forums on the next morning, I received this message :S
  • This error seem to be caused by one of the preferences in the users-table.
    I changed the preferences column for my user from:

a:1:{s:13:"Authenticator";s:8:"password";s:16:"PreviewThemeName";s:14:"Embed Friendly";s:18:"PreviewThemeFolder";s:13:"EmbedFriendly";}

to:

a:1:{s:13:"Authenticator";s:8:"password";}

And this solved the problem