Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Moving vanilla to different host with different domain

ronakgronakg New
edited July 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

I'll be moving my vanilla forums to a different host and different domain (from .in to .com). What are the precautions I need to take? This is what I was planning to do -

1) Take backup of database and move it to new host (keep username, databasename etc same)
2) Take backup of all the files and move it to new host

I assume the links are relative so, they should take care of themselves.

Am I missing something here?

Best Answer

• lucluc ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's server configuration.
    Even your non-embedded website doesn't work.

Answers

• lucluc ✭✭
    Delete all ini files from the cache dir.
  • I did all these and deleted the ini files from cache directory. Now I can't login to forums. When I try, it is trying to reach my old domain. I can't validate the embedded version on my wordpress dashboard. Do I need to make any changes anywhere in some config files?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Maybe some domain name in the conf/config.php.
    Not sure, don't have a live config file to check it out.
  • ronakgronakg New
    edited July 2011
    I checked the config file and have replaced the embedded URL etc to new domain. I checked database also but can't find anything suspicious.

Still can't sign into the forums.
  • I need some help here. Still no luck with my forums on new host with new domain. I ran utility/update script to in hope that databases will get updated if they are not already.

I suppose problem is the initial installation scripts. They haven't been run on new host and hence nothing works. All I have is files and database. When I try to click the link, it doesn't go to forum software and all I get is page not found.

My forum is located at - www.ronakg.com/forum
  • Some more information, when I try to access ronakg.com/forum/index.php?p=/dashboard/setup I get following error.

Vanilla has already been installed.
    The error occurred on or near: /forum/applications/dashboard/controllers/class.setupcontroller.php

33: // Fatal error if Garden has already been installed.

34:

35: $Installed = Gdn::Config('Garden.Installed') ? TRUE : FALSE;

36: if ($Installed)

37: throw new Exception('Vanilla has already been installed.');

38:

39: if (!$this->_CheckPrerequisites()) {

40: $this->View = 'prerequisites';

41: } else {

Backtrace:

[/forum/library/core/class.dispatcher.php:291] SetupController->Index();

[/forum/index.php:51] Gdn_Dispatcher->Dispatch();
  • @Todd and other devs, I need some help here. I have tried every possible thing, but still can't get this thing to work.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    You don't need to reinstall/rerun setup when you move files and databases around.
  • I am out of options right now. I have tried disabling all plugins, took a fresh backup of files and database and made sure config files and database file had no reference to old host. I think that's not the issue. Issue is something else. Is there a way to debug this?
  • Some more information. I am getting a feeling here that my wordpress installation is conflicting with forum. All the forum links are getting parsed by wordpress.

For example, now I am able to get to dashboard using index.php?p=/dashboard/settings/ but the 404 page from my wordpress shows up there as well. Not sure what is happening here.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    edited July 2011
    Check your .htaccess or your apache config.
  • ronakgronakg New
    edited July 2011
    both (in new and old installations) .htaccess files are same. I checked at both places, the one at root and the one inside my forum/ folder.

:(
  • Can you take a look at my embedded forums page and see what is wrong? - http://www.ronakg.com/discussions/
  • I also tried a fresh install and tried to import the file from old installation but import gives error saying format is not correct.

Does vanilla2export script support latest beta version?
  • Anyone?
  • Hey guys, what is the option I have to keep my old forum content? Nothing? Do I have to start all over again?
  • lucluc ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's server configuration.
    Even your non-embedded website doesn't work.
  • So how do i figure this out? Should I try and see if fresh installation works?
  • @luc, fresh install works perfectly fine. No issues what so ever. Now I need some way to make vanilla2export work with the latest beta version. Right now it throws an error while importing saying - 'import file is not in correct format'.

Can you help me modify the script to make it work with latest version?
  • @luc, can it be something to do with permalinks? I see those are not working and index.php?p=URL works.