Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

How to confirm email? How to assign default roles?

edited February 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8
Hi,

there is a "Confirm Email" role, but it doesn't do anything. How can I set it up so that new users have to confirm their email addresses? I have looked all over the internet before asking this question as I thought this must be easily possible.

Probably related: How do I change which roles are asigned to new users? I remember a special URL you could enter to get to the settings-page for that.. something like /roles/default but again - I couldn't find an answer.

Any ideas?
dakira

Comments

• 1. Dashboard -> Users -> Registration -> Tick "Approval" (New users are reviewed and approved by an administrator (that's you!)).

2. dashboard/role/defaultroles
  • 1. Dashboard -> Users -> Registration -> Tick "Approval" (New users are reviewed and approved by an administrator (that's you!)).
    I'm talking about email confirmation. The user registers, gets an email where he or she has to click a link and THEN can use the site. Isn't this what the "confirm email"-role is for?

thx for #2.. that was what I was looking for.
  • Just tried to set the Confirm Email role to new users, but doesn't work. The feature just isn't implemented, yet.. right?
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    Correct.
  • That's too bad. People registering with their email-addresses should receive opt-in messages. In some countries (like Germany) you have a good chance of getting legal problems if you don't send out emails with activation-links (like all other forums).
  • tedeltedel New
    edited September 2011
    I solved it removing the permission to sign in for those who haven't clicked on the confirmation e-mail. As soon as they click, they become "members" and they can sign in and post easily.

It works.

EDIT: It is also a good anti-spammer measure, as most Xrummer software will not be able to confirm the email.
  • @tedel: can you explain what exactly you did?
  • On "Roles & permissions", I kept the permission to sign in, but removed the permissions to add comments or discussions. It works like a charm, at least up to VF 2.0.18RC2.

Hope it helps.