Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

Vanilla 2 Upgrading Tips

Comments

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Is it bad if I run /utility/update more than once?
    Its fine.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• I'm trying to upgrade from 2.0.16 to 2.0.17.10. I followed all instructions at the top of this thread. I'm getting 404's for /utility/update and /utility/structure . My forum is at http://mydomain.com/forum and so I have been trying http://mydomain.com/forum/utility/update (as well as http://mydomain.com/utility/update just in case). When I try to go to my forum home page I get a Bonk. Deleting my whole forum directory, and replacing it with my backup have restored my forum to 2.0.16 just fine.

What am I doing wrong, how do I troubleshoot? Thanks in advance!
  • Same, tried both utility/structure and utility/update
    PM me your real forum URL

• where is the changelog page for 2.0.18 & 2.0.17.10?
  • After spending 45 minutes upgrading from 2.0.16 to 2.0.17, I think that should have been much easier. Some feature requests please:

1. Separate core vanilla code from things I might install. So let's have core/plugins, core/themes, etc which is separate to plugins, themes, etc that a user might install. In theory the upgrade could be limited to "replace the folder called 'core'"

2. Even better, .gitignore and all those 'empty' files suggest you use git. :-) So why not let us use 'git checkout v2.0.17' to upgrade if you publish git tags along with each release. How easy is that! Then our local changes are not lost.
  • lucluc ✭✭
    @ari: The code is on github, you can already do that (2).
    For 1, you can just drop the zip, and unzip, unless you modified files from the release, nothing bad will happen.
  • After doing the upgrade from 2.0.17 to 2.0.18 I run the upgrade utility while logged in as user #1 and then I get a blank page. When I clear the address and revisit the site I get a blank page. I replaced the conf files and removed the .ini files like instructed. What went wrong?
  • Can someone help me out with the above issue? I need to upgrade for an addon that I require on one of my sites. Please help me! Thanks.
  • UnderDogUnderDog MVP
    edited June 2011
    SuperFlyChetGuy opened a new forum thread here for his problem:
    http://vanillaforums.org/discussion/16365/upgrade-problems-from-2.0.17.10-
    to-2.0.18b2

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Hi all,
    having problems with this. I'm trying to upgrade this forum http://bangthebore.org/borum to 2.0.1.8 to from 2.0.1.4.
    I've followed the instructions so far as I can see
    -Upload the new package zip file to my server,
    -unzip it,
    -clear out my forum install folder as instructed (save conf etc),
    -copy the files from the unzipped folder over the top of my old install
    -delete the .ini files in cache
    -type bangthebore.org/borum/utility/upgrade into my browser

I don't get "success", instead I get the vanilla new setup screen. And if I enter the correct values into the fields there I get an "insert duplicate key" error...

I'm obviously doing something wrong, and probably something quite basic, but i really can't see what it is. Any ideas would be very much appreciated.

Thanks
  • @BangTheBore : Open a new thread and specify "insert duplicate key"
    We need to know exactly which duplicate key etc.
    Also, there's something wrong with the versions you're mentioning.
    Current version will be 2.0.18 and not 2.0.1.8

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• You're forgetting to take that saved conf.php file and put it back into the /conf/ folder after you upload all the goodies BEFORE your run the upgrade script at "http://bangthebore.org/borum/utility/upgrade".

You backed up the conf.php file, now you gotta put it back into the /conf/ folder BEFORE you run the upgrade script. or the upgrade won't know what database you're pointing to and what database to make the changes to.
  • I can't use URL re-writting because I'm using IIS. Can someone please provide the non-URL re-writting URL to access the structure AND run it?

I already know that I can hit the page for the structure by going here: /?p=/utility/structure

However, clicking the button also uses URL re-writting, so I need that URL in the normal URL format as well.

Anyone?
    Turn off Garden.RewriteUrls in your config file and Vanilla will stop making buttons and links with rewritten forms.

• I already know that I can hit the page for the structure by going here: /?p=/utility/structure
    Oh my GOD! THANKS!
    I had no idea that worked as well
    Because it didn't work as forum/utility/structure
    Please, change the update tips to add this!!!

Also... my forum is still not working. I switched off the Vanilla app (to try what happened, with version xxxx.17), I tried to update to xxx.18b4 (as I read somewhere in this forum), and then, after the "Update success" is still giving me the same fatal error message:
    Fatal error: Class 'CategoryModel' not found in /home/axxxxxxx/public_html/forum/applications/vanilla/settings/structure.php on line 65

Thanks for reading!
  • UPGRADING

If you altered vanilla images with your own, save your images file too!
    Also any files you customised, such as veiws, default master.php etc.
    might be safer to save your entire forum appl folder somewhere first, then upload the new version, and replace files from your original. (be sure to rename your original to something else to avoid accidental overwrite and confusion.
  • LincLinc Detroit Admin
    @camo You should be making your image changes in your own theme. That'll stop you from accidentally overwriting them during an upgrade.
  • when its stable version is going to release ???
  • Help! I upgraded to the latest version and now I cannot open the discussions. I followed all the instructions in the earlier part of this thread including the update and structure portions with success. Everything in the dashboard is working fine, but the discussion threads themselves are no longer opening. Anyone have any suggestions or should I just roll the whole thing back?
This discussion has been closed.