Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

I am looking for an association or mastermind group of vanilla owners. Does any exist?

2»

Answers

• AnonymooseAnonymoose ✭✭
    edited November 2011
    @Anonymoose
    What rubbish, commercial sites can pay someone to make those if that is what they want. Or do it in house.
    Until these features are available, people will gladly pay for vbulletin for the whole package and the bulk that comes with it, instead of paying you for your vanilla plugin.

There's no Vanilla plugin marketplace right now, everything is free, so there is no real incentive for developers to develop commercial plugins.
  • x00x00 MVP
    edited November 2011
    Wordpress is free, what is your point? Wordpress has many more plugins than vBulletin could even dream of. There are also many free forums, older than vanilla that are stocked with plugins.

Also you argument is flawed becuase there is less incentive for companies to release code. Share alike you do.

It comes down to the 'intellectual property', which often is a misnomer. You can do things thing like burring, trolling and ever-greening intellectual property, none of which promote innovation and sharing. The whole intellectual property area need serious reform. Right now it is not in the interests of competition, innovation and progress. It is just another form of protectionism

You think we should provide free plugins so they can charge, where is my incentive in that? Don't think so.

Also don't assume that vanilla's success is going to be based a certain sector of commercial sites. Vast majority of vBulletin are small to medium size groups which provide a free service. People pay for vBulletin for some features, but not the feature you are talking about so much, except in rare instances. The main reason it is a sure thing, an establish brand, it is consider reliable and stable. However the vanilla plus over that is it is vanilla code base approach, and potential to be really flexible. With vBulletin you are dealing with a juggernaut, and they don't want it to be too changeable becuase the want the vBulletin brand to be there always, where as with vanilla it is what you make it.

vBulletin suits Admins, vanilla suits developers.

Again I go back to the useful, adaptable, and reliable and I add flexible.

It is still early days these things don't happen overnight.

grep is your friend.

• I pity those who cannot put a paypal button.... But seriously a forum is a forum, if you want to to be somethign else, you are better off with software that is friendly to the developer mindset with the Garden framework aims to be. Then you can pay someone in Romania a few bob to do that if you can't, and you have it how you want rather the stereotyped. better than being fleeced by vBulletin year on year.

grep is your friend.

edited November 2011
    @x00, You don't seem to understand what the Moose is writing in plain English, and you reply in convoluted Eurospeak English.

"You think we should provide free plugins so they can charge, where is my incentive in that?" Says who?!

I said: Offer a marketplace for addons, so commercial addons can be made.

Vanilla is developer friendly? Great.

Best way to give developers an incentive? Make a marketplace where developers can get paid by those that need addons.
  • @x00, You don't seem to understand what the Moose is writing in plain English, and you reply in convoluted Eurospeak English.

"You think we should provide free plugins so they can charge, where is my incentive in that?" Says who?!

I said: Offer a marketplace for addons, so commercial addons can be made.

The code is developer friendly? Great.

Best way to give developers an incentive? Make a marketplace where developers can get paid by those that need the addons.
    Why don't you make a market place? Better time spent doing that than bitching on these forums.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

edited November 2011
    Why don't you make a market place?
    Very well lets get the offical OK to starting to post pay-to-download addons in the official addon section.
  • @Anonymoose I can agree to the extent of economising labour, listing and bidding on projects, but if you want pay-to-download, then you can start your own market place. The addons section suits GPL or similar IMO.

I understood most of what you said, you just happen to be incorrect about those examples. I wouldn't try to teach Grandma to suck eggs over software or English.

Lastly Vanilla, isn't trying to be vBulletin, it would be pretty foolish to try and imitate.

-----

Back to @odyssey999's question. I think if you want an owners' club fair enough. I pretty much know what I want for my purposes, so I'm less interested in the rotary/enterprise aspect. However if people want solutions, I like problem solving.

grep is your friend.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin
    edited November 2011
    Very well lets get the offical OK to starting to post pay-to-download addons in the official addon section.
    The AddonsApp doesn't support pay-to-download so I don't know what good that would do you.

Also, attacking someone's grammar is incredibly lame. That's not how we roll here.
  • 422422 Developer MVP
    This thread seems to have passed its sell by date , shame. Perhaps closing it seems the best option. Allow everyone to chill take stock and reenergizzzzeeeeee :)

There was an error rendering this rich post.

edited November 2011

The AddonsApp doesn't support pay-to-download so I don't know what good that would do you.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. It should support pay-to-download.
  • edited November 2011
    I've sat back and watched what was being shared. Actually if you look through the plug-ins and themes there are some people who developed plug-ins and what not and offer them on their own sites. You can find this in the resource "addons" link at the top of the page.

If you want some ideas and code to work on I have a tons, I'm not a programmer, I am a business person who wants to use this forum as a portal. Anyone interested in working on some cool things please contact me via email. Thanks