Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.

SEARCH feature does NOT work.

jbalboajbalboa New
edited January 2012 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Please tell me what I'm doing wrong. The search feature is one of the biggest features on any forum. By the way, I love Vanilla forums, but I just need to know what I'm doing wrong with the search deal.

Answers

• Explain exactly what does not work in your search feature.
    On the site it still works:

http://vanillaforums.org/search?Search=does+not+work

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• LincLinc Detroit Admin

It doesn't work with InnoDB tables. The Comment and Discussion tables must be MyISAM.

• Yes, it works on this site . . . I don't get it. I uninstalled and reinstalled and still doesn't work. Everything else works beautifully, except the search. I noticed other people in this forum have the same problem.

• NEVERMIND. IT'S WORKING NOW, IT JUST STARTED WORKING.

• TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff

AWESOME NEWS

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• 422422 Developer MVP

LOL

• A thought: To get people to read more of the documentation, someone could add NEXT ARTICLE links to each documentation article to keep people from having to navigate back to home each time; would kind of give it an e-book feel.... Would that work / be easy to add?

• ALSO: Turns out the search just takes awhile to get all indexed, this happened to me too; most of my stuff wasn't indexed, but a few things were coming up in search.

• words that are present in 50% or more of the rows are considered common and do not match.

This could be the case in a small database.

I may not provide the completed solution you might desire, but I do try to provide honest suggestions to help you solve your issue.

• DanielSchulzJackson said:
    A thought: To get people to read more of the documentation, someone could add NEXT ARTICLE links to each documentation article to keep people from having to navigate back to home each time; would kind of give it an e-book feel.... Would that work / be easy to add?

You hit a very valid point there. We cannot control the /docs section of the site. It's a custom application for Vanilla (which won't be released as far as I know). Partly why VanillaWiki was created (I think).
    The Wiki is also a way to get the community more involved in the actual project. Anyone can type in what they found out and how they found it.
    The really tech guys can control and correct the texts if necessary.