Please upgrade here. These earlier versions are no longer being updated and have security issues.
HackerOne users: Testing against this community violates our program's Terms of Service and will result in your bounty being denied.
Options

How do I link forum topics like the vanilla plugin pages?

unmgmtunmgmt New
edited December 2011 in Vanilla 2.0 - 2.8

Hi guys, I was wondering how I could like my vanilla forum topics in the same way as done on this site. I'e provided screenshots as examples:

The discussion page

The plugin page
Note the highlight in red. It somehow knows which page this discussion relates to:

How can I do the same thing? I would like to link fourm chat topics to specific pages just like shown above. Is this something baked into the general software, or have the site devs built this custom functionality?

Thank you

S

Best Answer

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Our addon app adds a column to the GDN_Discussion table that relates discussions to addons. When you click "Ask A Question" on a plugin page, the plugin's ID is inserted into that field. When a discussion is rendered, our addons app hooks into an event and checks for that field. If it has an ID in it, we render the text you see there.

You can write a plugin which does this.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

Answers

• Options
    TimTim Operations Vanilla Staff
    Answer ✓

Our addon app adds a column to the GDN_Discussion table that relates discussions to addons. When you click "Ask A Question" on a plugin page, the plugin's ID is inserted into that field. When a discussion is rendered, our addons app hooks into an event and checks for that field. If it has an ID in it, we render the text you see there.

You can write a plugin which does this.

Vanilla Forums COO [GitHub, Twitter, About.me]

• Options
    LincLinc Detroit Admin

And that addons app is open source here for reference: https://github.com/vanillaforums/VanillaAddonsApp

• Options

Tim,

Thanks for the quick answer. I think I'm going to try an integration into one of my sites.

Sheraz

• Options

How to use this addon app?

• Options
    bh8vnbh8vn
    edited January 2012

Download it, copy to your applications folder and active in in your dashboard